Thread: High quality sectional search

Default High quality sectional search

I'm new to the forum and looking for input on sectionals. My family (mid 30s couple and 2 kids under 5) is moving into a new construction home within the next 60 days. Its bad timing with what's going on in the world but we started the process last summer, we're also realizing just how difficult it is to shop from home.

I'm looking for something large because our space is 20' x 20'. A build your own style or modular seems to work best. I do like the style of restoration hardware but not the reviews. Willing to spend between 10-15K on something high quality that will last. Would prefer leather but will consider performance type fabrics as well. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. Thank you!!

Default Re: High quality sectional search

My first recommendation would be Hancock and Moore’s Your Way program, where you can hit your budget target (depending on components selected and leather chosen). Most people get 20 + years out of their Hancock and Moore in daily use. Next level down would be Bradington Young and it’s about 25% less than H&M in cost. It’s not likely to give you quite as long a lifespan and the cushion core replacement policy is not ironclad-strong like Hancock and Moore.

Cushion core replacements don’t seem like a big deal when you are buying new, however when the piece gets to be ten years old or so it’s a very big deal when you look at the cost of replacement. Cores can easily run well over $ 1,000 to do a sectional and only H&M sends them free of charge, both seats and backs. Ask any dealer what their core replacement policy is when shopping other brands. Ask about shipping, too...can cost several hundred dollars in freight cost as cores are large and come by truck line.

Leather will outlast fabric four to 1. Most all fabrics will be done in ten years and with the cost to re-core and upholster it’s not worth it. Leather will be just fine at ten years given reasonable use and care. It’s the smart choice for busy homes and will cost less per years of useful service.

If you make choices fairly quickly the 60 day window may be doable for production, but will have to tack on two to three weeks delivery time.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-29-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: High quality sectional search

We have a 20x20 area too, but consider walkways. Since we have walkways on 3 sides, the effective space is not as large as you would think. We went for something that looked nice, but mayhaps should have gone with something that is a bit more comfortable.