Thread: H&M Cassidy Button Tufted Fabric Sofa

blaine Guest

Default H&M Cassidy Button Tufted Fabric Sofa

Good evening all, I am new to this board (registered several months ago but never posted). I have learned a good deal from the discussions here, and
    would like to ask a question about buying a replacement sofa.

After 16 years of outstanding service, my Broyhill button-tufted sofa has moved on to the next life. I cannot conceive of having a better sofa. It was supportive and firm when sitting in a bolt-upright position, still supporting and comfortable in a slouching position, and also magnificent to nap on.

I am long waisted (6'1" with a 29" inseam) and finding furniture that is both firm and supportive (as well as comfortable) is nearly impossible. I have been looking for months for a similar sofa. Recently I discovered, quite by accident, that Hancock and Moore has a sofa that is nearly identical to my old Broyhill. It is called the Cassidy Apartment Sofa. When searching H&M's website, I never found it when I entered the word "tufted" in the search feature. I think it is because "tufted" is not used in the description of this sofa.

Has anyone had any experience with this Sofa? Any comments would be helpful. Mr. Collie, could you let me know how much one of these might cost? I visited a high-end furniture store in Pasadena to try to see the sofa as well as to see what kind of fabric choices might be available. I was looking for a non-cotton fabric in a burgundy color. They showed me a Hancock and Moore fabric (which does not appear to be on H&M's website) that is a kind of Burgundy color, made of nylon polyester and rayon, described on the back as "Merlot" and Category F. I am not really thrilled with the color, but I could live with it if I had to. The furniture store did not have one in stock, and told me it would cost about $4,000. No way in the world am I paying $4,000 for a couch.

Again, any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Blaine

Default Re: H&M Cassidy Button Tufted Fabric Sofa

Hi Blaine,

I've not sat in a Cassidy or had one come through the store, but note that its a deep sofa with an inside depth of 25" (standard is appx 20" - 22"). I'd have to call Jimmy Moore about the firmness of it, but it can always be built with a Plus 1 firmness (or 2, or 3, but they are more radical) at no extra cost.

All the fabrics are on the H&M web site, and you can cross over with the Jessica Charles fabrics as well - or even the Councill fabrics. All in the same family. Here's some general prices by fabric grade (they go A through K). Shipping additional (to California, a sofa travels via West Express Home Delivery Service for appx $ 320, no tax collected.

Fabric Grade A: $ 2,072
    Fabric Grade D: $ 3,038
    Fabric Grade F: $ 3,101
    Fabric Grade H: $ 4,410

etc....as you can see, grade of fabric influences the price paid. There are many, many sofas that will cost less. H&M has never been the least expensive, because they put the highest build quality into their pieces and have some of the best artisans making them. However at those prices you should get a fabric that you really like, not just a make-do one. Good luck!

As I'm sure you probably know, H&M compared to Broyhill is NY Strip Steak vs. Hamburger....<g>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

blaine Guest

Default Re: H&M Cassidy Button Tufted Fabric Sofa

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried to respond, but the site said I needed to log in, and when I did, it told me I was already logged in (??), and the text of my message vanished into the night air.

Anyway, your price quote of about $3,450 including shipping beats the pants off the local dealer's estimate of $4,500 including sales tax and delivery, and I am very interested now.

Apart from the depth of the couch the dimensions are essentially identical to the old Broyhill. And I don't anticipate the depth being troublesome, especially in "slouch" position--it will just provide more support for my legs up to the bend of the knee, which actually would be an improvement over the Broyhill. I also don't anticipate bolt-upright sitting to be troublesome even with my relatively short legs, since when I sit in that position I usually have my feet on an ottoman anyway.

Yes, I would appreciate it if you could make an inquiry of Mr. Moore relating to the firmness of the sofa. I realize that your and his reponses will be subjective, but I am afraid that is all that will be able to me.

Please let me know if you would like me to continue this my e-mail or phone rather than the forum. Thank you again for your kindness and willingness to help. Blaine