Thread: Sofa Advice?

Default Sofa Advice?

I am in the market to purchase (2) well constructed sofas. I would prefer a high performance fabric. I'm also concerned that I can not seem to find on my own a high quality piece/s as I've just retired and would like to keep it for a while. five years ago I purchased a H&M leather Austin sofa and was very pleased. How popular are they in fabric as opposed to leather sofas.

Default Re: Sofa Advice?

High Performance Fabrics are only easier to clean with soap and water, they are not longer-lasting. Most all fabric sofas in daily use will need a re-cover in appx 8 years, are you prepared to pay re-upholstery costs for a sofa (Appx $ 1,500 to $ 2,000). If not, and you will replace the entire sofa in 8 to 10 years, then perhaps the high-level construction is a moot point.

No one makes a better or stronger sofa than Hancock and Moore, however due to the facts just presented. most people do not order H&M in fabric, they go leather for the 4x longer cover lifespan. Hancock and Moore is dropping all its fabrics, and will use Jessica Charles fabrics in the future, so they don't do a lot in textile coverings. And because H&M is a leather house, the fabric ones will cost nearly as much as leather.

I'd suggest Taylor King, which is still owned by the same people that started Hancock and Moore. TK is a fabric maker, and sofas will be about 2/3's the price of H&M, you will give up the solid maple frame for plywood, but otherwise they offer a solid product at a lower price point when doing fabrics.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Davis View Post
    I am in the market to purchase (2) well constructed sofas. I would prefer a high performance fabric. I'm also concerned that I can not seem to find on my own a high quality piece/s as I've just retired and would like to keep it for a while. five years ago I purchased a H&M leather Austin sofa and was very pleased. How popular are they in fabric as opposed to leather sofas.
    Thank you! Boy it got back to me so fast! I was thinking about returning to H&M. I suppose I need to rethink whether or not I need to return to leather. THanks!

Are you familiar with the construction of CRLain and Vanguard sofas?

I am not. There are thousands of makers out there, its impossible to know them all.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have a sectional from Klaussner that has held up nicely over the last 7 years. It is plywood construction of course not solid, but it's done very well and super comfy.
    I am changing it only because the sectional is so big and I'm ready for a change.