Thread: Bradington & Young 4114 Mechanism

Default Bradington & Young 4114 Mechanism

I have a B&Y 4114 with a broken mechanism I cannot identify. Hooker sent me a replacement for a pre-2008 chair but it is not the correct one. Does anyone know what this mechanism is and if a replacement is available, please? The mech in the upper part of the picture is the original and the lower is what Hooker sent. Thank you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	13067

Default Re: Bradington & Young 4114 Mechanism

Definitely two different mechs. You would have to contact the dealer you purchased that through to resolve that issue. Look for stampings or ID marks on the original mechanism that might help get the proper replacement.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Definitely two different mechs. You would have to contact the dealer you purchased that through to resolve that issue. Look for stampings or ID marks on the original mechanism that might help get the proper replacement.
    Unfortunately this was purchased 15-20 years ago. My fear is that it might be a pre-99 model that you mentioned in a separate post is no longer available.

If you got close to twenty years out of it, the recliner owes you nothing. Treat yourself to a new one. In promotional leathers about $ 1,400 (or less) from most dealers (B-Y 4114).
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-13-2020 at 11:11 PM.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    If you got close to twenty years out of it, the recliner owes you nothing. Treat yourself to a new one. In promotional leathers about $ 1,400 (or less) from most dealers (B-Y 4114).
    I agree with you. Unfortunately, the customer feels a repair is the way to go. Worst case, I will do a temp repair on the broken rivet and replace the nearly broken rivet to get them a couple more years out of the chair. The labor on this will be nearly a charitable donation compared to the actual effort.

I would save yourself the trouble of trying to replace the broken rivet (didn't know you were an upholstery shop, thought you were a consumer). They always fail - 100% of the time usually in the first 30 days. Over the several past decades many have tried to do this and it doesn't ever work. And what that person will remember is you were the shop that took their chair and couldn't fix it and it failed again leaving them with a broken recliner to get rid of, plus any charges for transport that may have been put on the ticket. Better to simply tell them the correct part cannot be purchased, put the recliner in the dumpster and see if you can get your money back on the mechanism that was sent.
    Duane Collie