Thread: Afternoon Furniture Painting Project

Default Afternoon Furniture Painting Project

This bench in my house is 30 years old, made by Warren Chair Works of Rhode Island in 1989. It was ordered from them unfinished, for a customer that wanted to paint it themselves. That customer backed out of the deal and it sat in the warehouse for two years. Finally around 1991 I decided to brush paint it Mustard with a brown glaze, and bring it home, where is sat in our "mud room" for the past 29 years, being used to throw bookbags on, put your shoes on, and the dogs would lie on it to look out the window to the backyard. It was banged up, but the American Windsor is still the strongest wood chair ever made, this one didn't even wiggle or creak.

I bought a new cordless airless sprayer, a Graco model 17M363 mainly to stain my deck, which takes FOREVER to do by hand. In fact, a couple years back I did one coat and then gave up doing a second coat as it took a week of brush painting to apply the first. This cordless and hoseless professional paint sprayer looks like just the trick for speed and getting that second coat on. But first I need a smaller project first to try it out, so .... this Continuous Arm Settee.

Started at 3 pm. today, finished at 6 p.m, just three hours for everything. First I sanded it down, doing a full sanding on the seat as it had hundreds of gouges. Then a scuff sand on everything else. The Makita hand-held sander makes short work of the seat. I forgot to take a full "before" photo, but had just started on the seat when I remembered to grab a camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench1.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	13071

Fully sanded and ready for paint, total time 35 minutes.

Name:	Bench2.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	13072

The tools and paint. A quart of flat black from Lowe's and can of satin spray lacquer.

Name:	Tools.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	13073

The painting took 2 minutes for the first coat. So fast. The stock tip on this uses way too much material though, nearly an entire quart to paint this - too much. Will buy a smaller tip for the next paint job. Because its cordless, I can take this up into the woods and not have to worry about spraying near the house. The tool is incredible, even sprays upside down. The finish it puts on is excellent.

Name:	Bench3.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	13074

After the water based paint dried for 90 minutes, I clear coated it and we're done. Easy job, and fast. Now it's ready for the next 30 years.

Name:	Bench4.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	13075

I wish I had had this tool when I painted my garage in 2014. I spent 5 full days painting it, the ceiling was a killer. With this device I could have done two coats in 3 to 4 hours. Like they say "it works as advertised"
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-15-2020 at 10:08 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Afternoon Furniture Painting Project

Nice finish Duane. I just finished putting the first coat of stain on my back porch / mini-deck today and I used a brush. It took WAY LONGER than I expected and I am hoping it looks ok enough after drying that I don't need to do another coat. A couple of dozen 2x2" vertical rails takes hours... That sprayer looks nice!

Default Re: Afternoon Furniture Painting Project

Yes, that's the primary reason why I bought this airless, cordless sprayer. Deck balusters take forever and runs are commonplace with a brush. Using a tarp/drop or dropcloth, it should make short work when I go to restain them this summer. Also, my house foundation needs a coat of paint (was done 20 years ago) and it will make a 9 hour job into a 90 minute one. A very cool tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.