Thread: PSA for anyone interested in what I found out today about formaldehyde

Default PSA for anyone interested in what I found out today about formaldehyde

Hi All,
    I am new to this board, having found it in my desperate search for solid wood furniture because I get violently ill from imports with chemicals.
    I haven't purchased new furniture in about 15 years, so made a purchase and after delivery got ill. Turns out my purchase was made overseas, which i didn't know.

Even though the stickers say that is it compliant with Calif Carb 2 and TSCA Title Vi for formaldehyde, those regulations only cover the formadelhyde resins that are in the actual compsite and mdf wood. NOT the glues used to glue other areas of the item for structural support. In my case I suspected the glue contained Urea Formaldehyde. I read most of the EPA documents to make sure i was understanding correctly.

I contacted the manufacturer of said item and they kindly confirmed the glue i was seeing in spots under drawers, etc was in fact UF glue, but that they claim the emissions are negligle and should have been depleted by the time it left the manufacturing facility and sat in storage for months.
    I'm not taking any chances and will be returning the item. Even though from what I've read most UF glue emissions should subside after 2 years, i don't want to wait 2 years to use my item. Even though i like the piece very much.

Just putting it out there for anyone interested. From now on i will only buy used and antiques or cough up the needed funds to go custom with US made furniture only with US Wood.
    Which, by the way, I found out from reading various manufacturer websites, they may have a plant in the US, but sometimes they source foreign wood.

** edit- i would buy something new if the company could guarantee that everything is VOC friendly. Lee upholstery is such a company from what I hear.

Cheers!
    Last edited by LisaL; 06-23-2020 at 02:59 PM.