Thread: Are odd angles reasonable?

Threaded View

Default Are odd angles reasonable?

Hi all,

I just received my February purchase of 2 sectionals and a sofa from an internet-based manufacturer of custom items. The pandemic and subsequent quarantine meant that the items were unable to be shipped with the carrier's white-glove service. Upon on receipt and assembly, my wife and I noticed that the front baseboards had a slope downward from juncture at the arms of the sectionals and sofa up to the center of the sofa or the junctions with the other sectional pieces. On a couple of the pieces it was very pronounced. It is the kind of thing that once you see it, you can not unsee it. In conversation with the maker, they suggested that it was a result of the leather stretching and where the leather was bound in the frame. They also affirmed that this was the case on other leather versions of the same item and also for the furniture from another manufacturer. They implied that fabric does not stretch in the same manner and thusly the impact was not apparent in the fabric version.

If that is the case, it seems to be a poor design instead of a compromise for material choice. It seems to me that this setup the piece for a sag at that junction in a few years.

So my question, have you seen this sort of sag before, and would you consider it a reasonable design compromise or something else? I am not interested in doxxing the maker. The sales and customer care staff have been very good as they should be given the price point. Considering that the pieces were sitting at the factory until white-glove service became available again, then again, they have been paid in full for four and a half months.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200706_170944249.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	13124

Name:	IMG_20200709_104629001.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	13125

Name:	IMG_20200711_221002778_3.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	13126

Thanks for Reading!
    (long-time occasional reader, first-time poster)

-ma
    Last edited by manofl; 07-11-2020 at 10:38 PM. Reason: left off the thanks and sig