Thread: You gotta love delivery companies....

Default You gotta love delivery companies....

I have a King Size Hancock and Moore Leather Tufted Bed on order for the floor that should arrive next month, so I ordered a Royal Pedic King Size All Cotton bed to go with it. These will be a floor model and I'm pretty excited to get it - the H&M bed is really nicely done. The delivery company for the mattress and box spring said they would be here Tuesday and they didn't show. Nor did they show up Wednesday. No biggie, I have to wait for the H&M bed anyways, so I unpack and load the truck this morning for Saturday deliveries. I had purposely left it empty to accommodate this unit coming in, but with the no shows I can't wait forever. Now the truck is full front to back with sofas and chairs with (6) delivery stops on the 18th. I get back to the store, kinda tired and hot n' sweaty and who shows up 15 minutes later but the delivery company with the bedding. PERFECT.

My truck is full, and they won't take it to my warehouse 9 miles away. Fine, I can bring it inside and put it in my office in the back. Except the delivery guy won't help me unless I pay him $ 100.00 extra. HA! Not today, not tomorrow, not ever. Hundred bucks to carry it a hundred feet? Dollar a foot? Not in my world. He gets if off the back of the truck and leaves it in the parking lot. Now I'm pretty steamed, but I'll handle it in spite of being tired from loading the truck. Box Springs were not too bad, but the mattress is about 4x heavier than a conventional one and it has to weight about 170 lb. As I'm halfway bringing in the mattress and soaking with sweat a customer arrives and wants help picking out a sofa. I feel badly because I'm super hot and sweating like mad, my shirt soaked through and have to leave the mattress half in and half out of the store. After a couple hours with her I was able to bring it the rest of the way in the store, where it will be back in the office with me for about another month.

I have this same bed in my own home, same size. I forgot how heavy the mattress is, but cotton felt is quite a bit more dense than blown foam layers. My delivery guys will be impressed I carried this in by myself because they always whine about how hard these are to deliver and they are a team of two <wink>. The Old Man can still hump a Royal Pedic King mattress by himself when he has to....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-2888.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	13149
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: You gotta love delivery companies....

A king mattress from the parking lot by yourself? Ugh! It sounds like you didn't have a dolly around to sit it on either.

My wife and I have different firmness preferences so for our king bed a while back we went to two twin XL mattresses instead so we can each have our own side. Same dimensions as a king but much more maneuverable when moving. We have a king size mattress protector zip thing so they are held together pretty tightly, plus a regular king fitted sheet. It works well for us.

Default Re: You gotta love delivery companies....

Can't use dollies to get them in my store, they don't work due to curbs and door thresholds so its grab and go. Helps when you are not happy with the delivery guy who is half my age and refuses to help, so I get some adrenaline going. <g>

Yes, what you have is a good system, I recommend that method to a lot of people but they are all afraid of separation where they join, but a good mattress protector keeps them together.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.