Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know what could be causing this on my leather???

Default Does anyone know what could be causing this on my leather???

These spots just appeared, no spills or anything, any advice would be appreciated. It obviously doesn’t look good at all, very odd.

They’re both on cushions that are sat on regularly. I love my furniture but I’m now getting nervous about getting more of this. I don’t mind scratches and such, I think that adds to the look of unprotected leather, but this clearly isn’t a scratch.

Any thoughts on how I can make this less noticeable? It’s almost like the color/burnish went away in these spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10B26070-2A11-4CEF-ACB9-2BA45D09A530.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	13150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CADA7E4C-D069-44A3-A3A8-74853361B346.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	13151  
    Last edited by Homer12; 07-19-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Does anyone know what could be causing this on my leather???

By the way this is H&M Weston Cane Burnished.

When doing photos, it helps to put a coin next to a spot or flaw so that the size proportion can be determined by the viewer. I can't tell how large the areas might be or where they are located.

That's Weston Cane Burnished? If the color is accurate, you have severe sun damage on the leather - but I suspect your camera being used is not color correct as it should look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rugby1.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	13152

Where are you located? Can you take an overall photo or two of the piece as well? I know you purchased these pieces from me about a year ago, but I can't put "forum names" to real names, sorry!

If these are just seat cushions, the fix is pretty easy - they can be boxed up and returned to Hancock and Moore and have them taken care of for you. You would be without the covers for a couple of weeks. Depends on how large the area might be.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-19-2020 at 04:08 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    When doing photos, it helps to put a coin next to a spot or flaw so that the size proportion can be determined by the viewer. I can't tell how large the areas might be or where they are located.

That's Weston Cane Burnished? If the color is accurate, you have severe sun damage on the leather - but I suspect your camera being used is not color correct as it should look like this:

Where are you located? Can you take an overall photo or two of the piece as well? I know you purchased these pieces from me about a year ago, but I can't put "forum names" to real names, sorry!

If these are just seat cushions, the fix is pretty easy - they can be boxed up and returned to Hancock and Moore and have them taken care of for you. You would be without the covers for a couple of weeks. Depends on how large the area might be.
    Duane when I get back home I’ll take pictures with a coin next to it, I would say they are about a dime size, between a dime and a nickel. I think the picture is showing the color off a little. I live in Southwick MA, the order is under Bill/William Rodgers.

They are both bottom cushions, one is on a couch and the other one of the recliners. That would be fantastic if they can fix them. I am curious what might cause this too I’d like to prevent it in the future.

Thanks so much for the quick response I’ll be home around 7:30 and I’ll be able to post additional pictures then.

Bill

Here you go Duane, is this better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E7BF763D-92F4-4FCE-A179-20C38C9B9403.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	13153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A20283A-376B-4C11-8F1F-B7D5DF94FC46.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	13154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6173E173-197A-425C-9677-6D108EFC33BC.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	13155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	070AFB2A-95F3-4E6D-BAF2-1A56172CF193.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	13156  

Much better. First thing I would say to do is get some of your wife’s favorite hand lotion and massage it into the spots. Be generous and rub it all the way in and see if that improves the marks, I usually do it twice. 90 % of all burnished leather “spots” respond well to that. Tell me what it looks like afterwards and we can go from there, Bill.

Also, if you are so inclined, on the one recliner there is a zipper underneath the back cushion and if you remove the seat cushion you can open that up, stick your hand up in there and reposition that cushion (much easier if you fully recline the chair to do so). That will fluff up that cushion by doing that.
    Duane Collie

Much better. First thing I would say to do is get some of your wife’s favorite hand lotion and massage it into the spots. Be generous and rub it all the way in and see if that improves the marks, I usually do it twice. 90 % of all burnished leather “spots” respond well to that. Tell me what it looks like afterwards and we can go from there, Bill.

Also, if you are so inclined, on the one recliner there is a zipper underneath the back cushion and if you remove the seat cushion you can open that up, stick your hand up in there and reposition that cushion (much easier if you fully recline the chair to do so). That will fluff up that cushion by doing that.

Thank you for the tip on the recliner!!!

I just did the hand lotion, it doesn't look like it changed at all, but I will let it absorb more and do it again. It is very odd it is almost like bleach spots on fabric. I did find one other small area on the other recliner that is getting it too.

I will keep you updated!!

Hard to say, I would expect something may have got on the seats. I've never had any burnished leather show those kind of markings. We can always get those taken care of whenever you can do without the seat covers for a few week, will just have to be shipped to H&M in Hickory NC or to Leather Solutions Inc in Asheville NC.
    Duane Collie

Hard to say, I would expect something may have got on the seats. I've never had any burnished leather show those kind of markings. We can always get those taken care of whenever you can do without the seat covers for a few week, will just have to be shipped to H&M in Hickory NC or to Leather Solutions Inc in Asheville NC.
    That sounds great Duane let me know what I need to do and I will try to get it all done and shipped this week. Maybe they will be able to give me an idea on the cause too so I can prevent it from happening in the future.

Thank you so much!!!

Please email me off list on this to keepingroom@gmail.com
    Duane Collie