Thread: Advice on Bernhardt vs Article

Default Advice on Bernhardt vs Article

This forum helped me out many years ago when I was looking for a good leather recliner. It is still working well today

Now I am trying to help my daughter with buying a sofa. She is 27 and until now has lived with roommates (the last 3 years in DC). She is moving into her own apartment soon and wants to invest in a sofa. But she also doesn't have a huge budget. And she is pretty set on a certain style.

Initially some friends told her to go with some online modular thing from Burrow.com. I talked her out of that and instead suggested if she was going the online route that she go with a company my architect brother who does a lot of interior design work suggested - article.com But I also suggested she look at a local furniture store where I know the owner. Her budget is limited (staying under $2K for a sofa and an ottoman). So she has narrowed things down to this two:

Bernhardt Isabella Sofa

https://bernhardt.com/product/isabella/sofas/sofa

Pillows
    (3) Loose Fiber Back pillows - knife edge weltless
    (2) Feather blendown throw pillows - knife edge weltless - 24" x 24"
    (2) Feather blendown throw pillows - knife edge weltless - 21" x 21"

Construction
    Sinuous Spring

Cushion
    Comfort Luxe Feather Down

Frame Materials
    Bernhardt frames utilize engineered, multi-ply hardwood plywood as well as some 1" and 1-1/4" hardwoods. (Certain frames may also incorporate formed plywood in order to achieve certain frame contours.) All exposed wood frames employ 1-1/4" mixed hardwoods.

Sturdy Construction
    Bernhardt's artisans assemble upholstery frames using methods that ensure superior quality, such as sturdy mortise and tenon joints. Because corners are pressure points that must withstand stress and wear, Bernhardt craftsmen securely fasten corner blocks and braces to provide additional support and strength. Finally, they pre-test every frame for strength and durability.

OR

Article Sven Sofa

https://www.article.com/product/3224...rch-ivory-sofa

MATERIALS
    Kiln dried solid wood, high density foam, Polyester, Duck feathers, Fabric- 73% Polyester, 27% Acrylic, Martindale test - 100,000 rubs

Sturdy corner blocked wooden frame
    High density foam with polyester filling
    Pirelli webbing
    Loose seat and back cushions
    Loose bolsters included

Which one will end up being more durable and longer lasting? I realize neither are heirloom pieces - but if she can get something that gives her 10 years she would be thrilled.

The Bernhardt is about $500 more - but my sense is the construction and materials are better. Am I correct? I am not sure exactly what "Comfort Luxe Feather Down" means for the Bernhardt cushions - is this some type of feather down surrounding High Density Foam or ??? And I am assuming Sinuous Spring is better than Pirelli webbing - but I could be wrong.

Again her budget for a sofa and ottoman is $2K. And she is set on this type of design with higher legs and open area under the sofa. So going to a higher end brand like Hancock & Moore is not likely. If there is something else she should look at I am open to suggestions but it has to meet the budget and style

Thanks
    Last edited by superstein; 07-22-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Default Re: Advice on Bernhardt vs Article

Here is a pic of each:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaa82427117_2730133250376913_5907956828246900736_o.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	13170

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaimage27619.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	13171

I don't like buying sofas with Pirelli Webbing myself, it's a cheap form of suspension that tends to sag with time and use. So I would automatically pass on the Article brand unit because of that.

Winner: Bernhardt
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for the quick reply !!! that is helpful. And your forum is quite informative, just like I remember from years ago when I did research on a leather recliner. I appreciate you hosting it

Just one other question (after having done way too much reading and research on this for her). Can you or anyone please explain what Bernhardt means by ""Comfort Luxe Feather Down" for the cushion. The reason I ask is the article you linked in another thread from Jeff Frank on Simplicitysofas mentioned this:

Plush cushions made exclusively with down and feathers used to be very popular in high end furniture long ago, but are rare now. Aside from the very high cost, down and feathers have very little resiliency and need to be "fluffed up" after each use.

So I am just trying to get a better understanding of that as Bernhardt makes a similar style sofa - but the cushions are "spring down" and the back cushions, while the same stuffing are attached and not loose. So not sure what is a better option for the seat cushions - "Comfort Luxe Feather Down" or "Spring Down"

Thanks !!!

Spring Down.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks !!!