Yesterday the phone rings and it's my old pal Jack Glasheen who founded Hancock and Moore along with Jimmy Moore. Jack and Jimmy retired from Hancock and Moore in December 2017 and to this day I miss talking to both of them when I call the factory. This was a photo of them at their retirement party (Jack in the blue sneakers, Jimmy in the red shirt). They sold the company as well as Jessica Charles to Rock House Brands (Century Furniture) and both kicked back to take it easy in retirement. They still both own a portion of Taylor King, but don't go to the factory as they don't want to be a distraction there to the employees or muddle in how they make furniture as Del Starnes is doing a great job with the brand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack and Jimmy.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	13197

Jack and I talked for over an hour, he's still very much interested in the furniture business. We discussed how Covid-19 is affecting the furniture industry and the High Point Market, sales and layoffs, etc. Jack is the reason I'm so bullish on the Hancock and Moore brand, he and I have the same philosophies of doing products that are best in class, no shortcuts and go the extra mile in customer service. He's also the smartest man I have ever know in the furniture industry, he never wasted money of frivolous things and poured the cash into hiring the best employees and buying the best materials to make their products. I have huge respect and affection for the man and we understand one another.

He suggested I should shutter my store, come to North Carolina and start my own furniture factory, insisting I could do as good - maybe even better - than anyone currently making product. He said "You get it, and you know how to talk to people and have more innovative ideas than most people in the business - I know you would be successful.". High praise indeed! If I were in my 40's, I'd probably to it - but at age 66 I'm not sure I want to undertake a task that big. Then I said "If you will go in with me, I'll do it". Jack laughed and said he didn't have the energy to do it again, he's in his 70's and enjoying his retirement. Fair enough.

To most all the other furniture makers my store is an account number, one of hundreds they serve. At Hancock and Moore, The Keeping Room is "family", and that's due almost entirely to the wonderful atmosphere that Jack and Jimmy created in that company that continues to this day. I miss working with them most every single day.