Thread: Help with old nursery/sewing rocker

Default Help with old nursery/sewing rocker

I have recently started to learn how to weave chair seats. While at a junk sale I was given this rocker. I'd like to refinish it and fix the seat bottom for an accent piece in my den. I'm certain it was not originally painted lavender. I'm looking for suggestions as to how to make it look more like it originally did as well as any information about possible age and design. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Next project.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	13251  

Default Re: Help with old nursery/sewing rocker

If you are planning to strip it anyway, scrape away a little of the purple on the bottom of a rail or rockers and see if there is an original color under it? Probably white or wood stained.

Remove the seat and chemically strip the paint. Tighten up the joints afterwards if they are loose, which they probably are. This is all a big project on this chair, undertake it with the thought that you want to learn something, not for value or resale of the chair. Your labor hours will be far higher than any dollar value to a restored chair. Are you doing genuine Rush on the seat or a paper synthetic? If it were me, I'd go all-in and do the real deal - genuine rush.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Good tip. Thank you for the response.

I do plan to keep it for myself. I find that people do not want to pay for your time or supplies unless it's a family heirloom piece and barely will pay then.

I've had the chair for a while without doing anything because I didn't want to do it halfway. I'd like to bring it back to its original state or at least restore some dignity by removing the purple paint!

The seat is oak reed now but the pattern is odd. It wraps around the side rails which I have only seen with Danish cording. Do you think it has a Danish look? I think it would look lovely with real rush!!

Is there a historical stain or paint that you would suggest for the style? I appreciate your time and suggestions...lhc

I guess the simpliest solution would be just to sew a cover for it.
    I did it twice with my kitchen chairs, no big deal. All you need is a good cover material (leather/upholstery/cotton) and a sewing machine

cheers