Thread: Looking for Leather

Default Looking for Leather

I’m looking for two 3-seater stationary leather sofas. I love the look of the Flexsteel Hawkins sofa, although it is from the Latitudes line, so I’m concerned about quality. Does anyone have info on this specific sofa? The price is 2k per sofa and online says it has “all-grain” leather, although my dealer says it’s top-grain. I’ve looked at Hancock and Moore online and like their Paige, Aiden, and Emerson sofas (if I can personalize the leather to be similar color of the Hawkins). The only issue is that there is not a dealer nearby, so I don’t know how much shipping to my area would cost. I’ve also looked at Bassett, how does Bassett compare to Flexsteel? I have young children, so I want something durable that would last us 10+ years. Our budget is 6k, so approx 3k per sofa. Any advice? Would Flexsteel Hawkins be durable enough or should I look for something else?

Default Re: Looking for Leather

Flexsteel Latitudes is made in China. Several years ago I had one single order of it for my store and the quality was abhorrent. I dropped the line, Now, in fairness that was several years ago so they may have upgraded things, I don’t really know as I don’t spend time looking at that maker any more as even their USA-made lines had poor workmanship back in the day, but it services a price point.

"All-Grain leather" means it has the splits on the back and sides, and top grain only on seating surfaces and arms. Splits are not desirable, but they are inexpensive to apply to a sofa and saves the maker a lot of money. No one really wants the splits as they lack cohesive strength and are prone to tearing easier than top grain. Read into this thread and you will see a diagram about split leathers.

Flexsteel and Bassett have both been around a long time, they would not exist if they put our pure junk, so they DO have a customer base. I'm just pretty picky and faults in a build stand out to me, and if I know a maker does that consistently its difficult for me to sell it to a customer, so I punt out of lines pretty quickly if they don't pass my criteria.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

If you get a good, well-made sofa with top grain leather on all surfaces it can get 30 years of life span if you keep it cleaned and conditioned. Some of the H&M sofas like the City and Ricki in the Town and Country Program will come in at around $ 3K each before delivery fees.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-31-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.