Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
[Duane how much is that chair in antelope, or equestrian leather. Looks great. My 98 528i just got totaled 10k in repairs , was rear ended at high speed I was stopped on the freeway in seattle. the whole family got whiplash bad , but were ok. Tough to find a another in the same shape I had mine. now I am shopping for maybe a 530i or e320? around 2005... any deals call me. Karl:
Hey Karl,

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, $ 10K rear ended will take out a '98 5er for sure. Glad you are OK. No neck injuries? When I would teach high performance driving we would instruct to relax in the seat when a crash was inevitable. That means your body is able to conform to the seat which will cushion in a blow. Most people if they see they are about to be rear-ended will tension up and hunch up to the steering wheel, and in the collision they get 'whipped' into the back of the seat causing damage to their back and neck. By relaxing into the seat, you eliminate most all of that head travel from the impact and then have no injury. NHTSA has now mandated more aggressive headrest positioning because of this and many 2010 vehicles have headrests that are annoying because they are so far forward.

The new 5's will be rolling out in a couple of months, thats going to make the current E60 BMW series fall in resale value. I'd go for a late model 535i myself, with the twin turbos. 300 HP when you want it. Or go for a 2006-current E90 Series (3 series). Has virtually the same dimensions as your totalled E39 and is a joy to drive - one of the best cars made (I hate those runflat tires on them, however).

Oh! Chair prices...(get me going on cars....)

# 4691 Chair / # 4690 Ottoman

In Town and Country (Any Weston Burnished, a class 3) $ 1,917 / $ 657

In other class 3 hides (like Antelope or Equestrian) $ 2,219 / $ 798