Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A primer on Home Delivery Services for furniture

Default Re: A primer on Home Delivery Services for furniture

Yes, most all the manufacturer's will allow for a customer pickup at their shipping docks, I do it all the time. You just have to go during dock hours (Typically 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.) and it will be packaged, so you have to have a vehicle large enough to fit the wrapped/box and that means no vans and usually a commercial box truck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

Some good news for some of you buying long distance, 1st Choice Delivery, whom used to be Reliable Delivery, was given three orders of H&M by their shipping department in error. I have never used this company, and they called me once they had picked up the pieces to discuss and see if I wanted them returned to Hancock & Moore to go on my preferred shippers. Having done this a number of years, I know that doing a return is going to to add 2 weeks to the overall process and those three customers won't appreciate that delay so I spoke with length with them about what they do and how they do it. Their rates are competitive, they are 48 state, but they were very slow in overall delivery times - 3 weeks East Coast and up to 6 weeks West Coast time frames. Most my West Coast customers don't want to wait that long, so that was looking to be a deal killer on using them in the future. Anyways, I wanted them to do the three they had (all East Coast) since they already had the items and in our conversations they agreed to leave all product in the original H&M boxes to point of delivery - the customer's driveway. That is huge...because none of the other companies want to do that due to trash disposal at the customer's residence AND the fact that leaving them in the boxes cubes out their trucks faster. So, they agreed that if I (we) use them for future orders they will leave the product in the factory packing upon request at no extra charge, and that will virtually eliminate small friction marks that occur in transit. The downside is I have no experience in their services - no track record - and they will take longer to deliver in some cases. Not so much on the East Coast, but midwest and west coast. So now there is one more option for you as the customer to specify this delivery service if you are so inclined.
    Duane Collie
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

If you're looking for delivery in the Columbus, Ohio area, I had Bell Moving and Storage deliver my Hancock and Moore Austin High Back sofa. They did a professional job and kept the sofa crated right up to my door. The delivery personal were friendly and the shipping was quick. I had my sofa within a few days from it leaving H&M. They did a great job getting the sofa into the house even with the narrow door way. I'd use them again.

happyfeet Guest

Default Delivery time frames

Furniture - two recliners released to West Express 11/5 and no delivery date yet - just told "sometime in Mid Dec". Is that a typical time frame? Live in MI.

Thanks,

Generally speaking, 3 weeks to Michigan is about average, though if you are further north up near Green Bay that can go to four. All depends on how much load is going your way - they don't roll if the trucks aren't full.
    Duane Collie

Yes, you can always pickup yourself. Has to be on a Mon - Thurs, or Fridays by 10 a.m. at most manufacturers.
    Duane Collie

I have switched back to Sun Delivery as my default carrier, I was simply getting too many complaints with A&O Delivery and West Express.

I spent many hours on the phones with the owners of both A&O / West companies trying to work with them to improve their services, and it didn't seem to take with them, it remained business as usual. I think what really annoyed me most was an A&O team had to stop by my store with two recliners and they pulled up in an old diesel pickup truck pulling an equally old car trailer. Then the two guys got out and immediately lit up their cigarettes to unload the two H&M recliners. I'm sorry - but I'm pretty sure my customers do not want cigarette smoke around their new furniture. And the equipment....come on! I had one customer who got her sofa with water stains on the seat deck - that's caused by running an old leaky trailer or truck. And both companies have a really bad habit on saying "It came from the factory that way" when imperfections or rub marks are spotted. What good is a low price if the company works like this?

Sun Delivery has turbo-charged itself and raised their rates since I last used them. But they have better equipment (newer fleet of trucks), better personnel, a 7-day-a-week customer service team that will actually answer your call, and they are delivering much quicker than any other service, and with no damages reported so far (fingers crossed). At the end of the day, that's what I want as a store and you want as a customer. So yes, they cost more buy you get more, too, without many of the headaches. I appreciate any and all feedback that you can give me when using them as well, that's important information on how they did - and what you did and didn't like about them. I listen to that and take note.

I have a few customers that say "So-and-so store offers free shipping, do you?" I cringe when I hear that, because I have a pretty good idea of the "Free" companies they may be using and I wouldn't let some of those guys deliver a garbage can to me.

You can always use any delivery service you want. If the lowest price is your primary target, I can hook you up with those discount companies, but don't call me when you get frustrated by them or their service.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-05-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Duane Collie

Here's an example of why you have to be diligent in your inspection of your furniture when you receive a "White Glove" delivery from any service - from any store. First let me give you a little background on these delivery services:

* Every delivery company that I know of has the driver/team responsible for the damages. That is, it comes out of their pay if there is damage or needs a repair. Also any re-delivery fees are on them.
    * Once you sign the delivery receipt and the truck leaves, the delivery company no longer is responsible for anything you discover afterwards.
    * Your dealer you purchased from is NOT responsible for the damages < please read that twice.
    * You have a duty to inspect your purchases.
    * Do not accept deliveries after dark. You can't see damages.

Here's what happens in many instances:

Because we know the delivery team wants you to accept and sign for your order, they are not above doing unethical things such as a quick attempt to disguise damage or an outright fabrication such as "It came from the factory that way, its a manufacturer's defect you have to discuss with the dealer". It is up to you to be on the alert for this sort of thing. Companies that I work with in my store, don't send out flawed furniture - its all inspected at time of packing. Sure, there can be - on occasion - something that slips by, but its a fraction of a percentage when that occurs. 99.9% of the time it was right when it left the factory.

You feel pressured to sign the paperwork because the delivery team ALWAYS says they are in a hurry, and they tell you they are behind. That's 100% of the time, they want to get in and out as fast as possible. DO NOT SIGN FOR DAMAGED ITEMS. It's as simple as that. DO NOT SIGN FOR OBVIOUS DEFECTS, either. You have one chance to return the furniture without incurring extras freight fees, and that's when the truck is still there. Once the truck leaves, any returns are on your dime and it will get expensive! I can't reiterate that enough.... Problems? Send it back and don't sign the paperwork. Call your selling dealer the next day and want it picked up? Too late, Sorry.

Here's an expensive Hancock and Moore recliner that was delivered by West Express to a customer of mine in Nevada, it was covered in GR 4 Capri, which is very difficult to fix. The West Express delivery team saw they did this and squirted some Elmer's Glue into the cut and said "It came from the factory this way" and my customer signed for it. A few days later my customer contacted me and wanted to know why Hancock and Moore would ship this out like this? And sent me this photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	10692

I knew exactly what they did - I can tell by looking at it. I don't even bother calling West Express because they have the signed piece of paper that says it was "free and clear" and will say the customer did it after delivery, its not their problem. Incidents such as this are why I no longer recommend them - my customers should not be tricked, I don't care how low their delivery prices might be (sorry, I know it's your money paying for delivery!)

The way to repair this is to return it to Hancock and Moore and have the back re-leathered. H&M does not attempt to repair this sort of cut in a leather such as Capri as it can't be filled, sanded and recoated like a Finished hide and there will always be a visual evidence of it. My customer is not angry, but was disappointed. And I share her disappointment as well. What to do? I am legally not responsible for this and under no duty to assist. Many dealers will simply say "I'm sorry, you should have refused it and its not our responsibility". And they would be correct. This particular customer of mine has been very loyal and a repeat client, so I am not going to tell her "It's your problem to deal with" because I don't do business like that. I agree to pay for the cost of the re-leather on her behalf at H&M whatever it costs (several hundred dollars) if she paid for the round trip shipping ($ 750). As you can see, its costly to return ship after the fact.

Ultimately we located a leather repair person in her town that said they could do a very high-end fix, and it will look like a healed scar when done. Due to the much lower overall cost to fix, this was selected and they did a very nice job as evidenced in this last photo. I paid for the repair as a goodwill gesture ($ 210) and customer paid for the pickup and re-delivery charges which were local.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	10693

So PLEASE look at your pieces prior to signing off on them. It's important to do so while the delivery service is still there!
    Duane Collie