A couple times a year I get someone shopping for furniture that rolls in my showroom ready to do battle with me over price. They literally square off and challenge me and I'm never really expecting that because that's not how I roll. I don't even know these people!

Couple of days ago a man called up and wanted to know if I had a Hancock and Moore Berwind Office chair in stock and I did. I told him the price over the phone, too $ 2,299 as a floor model market special on it (Markle leather, GR 4). I am probably the only dealer on the East Coast to have one in stock, it would be December for delivery on an ordered one. He comes in, try's it out and then says to me "I'll write you a check for two thousand dollars for it out the door, that's all I'm going to pay"

OK. "Well, with 6% Virginia Sales Tax the total is $ 2,436.94, not $ 2,000.00, I don't negotiate prices like a car dealer might."

He then said he can buy the exact same chair for $ 2,000 delivered to his home from an out of state dealer whom he would not disclose. but "he shopped around after getting my price". Well, I happen to have a wholesale price book at my desk and am pretty darn sure he's not getting that deal unless that other dealer is willing to make 5% after delivery costs. Could he have just made up that number? I think he did.

Then he wanted me to "eat" the sales tax. Ummmm....no, that's illegal. The State of Virginia gets paid on in-store sales so that's not even up for discussion. He continued to want to argue with me about pricing and I'm not going to do that, so after another minute I simply excused myself and wished him good luck with his deal. i have plenty or orders to take care of on my desk and am not going to waste my time and sanity on people who want to play games. I don't need the sale that badly, I'm a laid-back guy. My customers become my friends, they are not "marks" to be made and I'm not the big bad retailer.

Prices are fair - so just move along if you don't agree with them and good luck to you.