Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittemore Sherrill or Palliser?

Question Whittemore Sherrill or Palliser?

I am trying to find new to us furniture to last us 4ish years at minimum. We are a family of seven(with children all ages) and use our living room heavily living, entertaining etc. I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM THIS FORUM... However I can’t afford to spend thousands of dollars right now (also my kids wreck things) so I’m hoping to find a deal second hand. Southern California market is mostly overpriced pottery barn, living spaces, and the like. Anyway, I’m wondering if either of these will fit the bil.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05F2B97E-D96E-454B-B95C-8658A35EABEF.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	13351 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85B9C2D4-CDE6-4CB3-94FB-CCF98068222E.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	13352
    TIA!
    Last edited by Sendhelp; 10-01-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Default Re: Whittemore Sherrill or Palliser?

I would probably lean to Whittemore Sherrill over Palliser, myself between those two. Good furniture should last WAY more than four years unless your kids are setting it afire or stabbing it with scissors. I raised two kids on a pair of Leathercrafts sofas since they were in elementary school (They are now age 30 and 26) and we are still using them. Properly made furniture, especially in real leather, will last.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I would probably lean to Whittemore Sherrill over Palliser, myself between those two. Good furniture should last WAY more than four years unless your kids are setting it afire or stabbing it with scissors. I raised two kids on a pair of Leathercrafts sofas since they were in elementary school (They are now age 30 and 26) and we are still using them. Properly made furniture, especially in real leather, will last.
    Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it greatly! I just don’t think this is the season for 6k+ couches, not that that is affordable to us currently bc it’s not. Lol I’d be happy with them holding up well for the next 4 or so years.

ETA: Does Whittemore Sherrill only use real leather? I get concerned with the middle of the seat stitching as our current set has that and is bursting and coming apart, granted it is a cheap Ashley set we bought under the impression it was something else...

The good brands are available second hand, also. Recommending something well made does not mean you have to buy it brand new in a high grade leather. My nephew picked up an H&M recliner in excellent condition for 500.00. You might be able to find a used sofa by H&M, Sherrill or Leathercraft or something along those lines for 1000-1500.00. If you are lucky. You have to be willing to look, and wait, and pounce quickly if you see something. Be ready to make a quick decision. Look often and call immediately when you see something.

Ashley doesn’t use real top grain leather, they use bonded and bi-cast which is more plastic than leather.

I’ve said it a hundred times. Good upholstery costs less over the long run because you are not replacing it several times over. This Leathercraft model 2670 sofa in my own home in an aniline hide is now 20 years old and I just took this photo this evening as I type this. I have replaced the seat cores once and re-dyed the leather using a kit from Leather Solutions. It has at least ten more years of use ...easy, and I raised two kids on this sofa. Still in everyday use.

You get what you pay for.

Name:	49DB5D2E-ED5F-49F4-A55D-F4211167C021.jpeg 
Views:	397 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	13353
    Duane Collie

This popped up today and I went to look at it. Sellers said it was 10 years old...The leather is in ROUGH shape. Is there a point beyond fixing? Still worth it? It is H&M. Thanks

Name:	DD8433E3-0536-49D2-ADA9-460F01AB5C5D.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	13355

If you can't live with the condition of leather beyond touch ups with a dye kit, pass. H&M will only replace cushion cores to the original owner. I personally would not put the additional money into something in that shape to buy the new cushion cores and dye kit. If I were the original owner and I still liked the color and style, I would probably see what it looked like with new cushion cores and a dye kit. As a buyer, I would look for something in better shape. Only you can decide what condition you can live with in your furniture. I don't know why but this sofa, in this shape, I have seen several times before, even in this color. I wonder if they are still trying to sell the same one, lol.

By the way, some good deals have been posted on this site in the past, so keep your eye out here, also. There is a "for sale by forum members" section.

You can also look in the "Craigs list, found it attack..." section to see what others were able to find in the past. Here is one: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ng-Danica-Sofa
    Last edited by SueCT; 10-03-2020 at 09:11 PM.

That's older than 10 years, more like 25 years. It's an old alternative Austin Series, back when they used to offer a single back cushion version. Almost no one ever bought them because the bustle back variant (which is still current) is far more comfortable. The single cushion back was dropped about 16 years ago from the line, can't remember exactly. $ 375 is cheap enough, but you're not going to fix it up. Re-coring those cushions would be around $ 2,000 for both pieces and that's before you even touch the leather. That set is used up, but if it's all you can spend at the moment then go for it "as is", just don't buy it with the thought that you are going to restore it.
    Duane Collie

Thank you both so much!!!

The saga continues as the Whittemore Sherrill arrived in condition less than advertised and we could not meet on price so back on the truck it went. Now we have my husband’s man cave garage furniture in the living room. Fun times.
    I found these. Per the sellers the Thomasville is 12 years old and the H&M is 10-12. Thoughts? TIA!

Name:	DEA8E1AF-363D-41C8-84E5-1582E6B28B57.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	13358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4C6F868-BDD6-4E47-8BA5-A2E092177E5C.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	13359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D19C8E0-AD7D-49F6-9F22-7F7992C971BD.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	13360

I suggest seeing and feeling the H&M in person and if it looks good, go for it. $500 is a great price for all three pieces if it is not trashed, hard to tell from small photos in bad lighting.

If possible, look at it in the day time so you can see it in sunlight, you'll see a lot more than in artificial light. Of course for that price I wouldn't be too picky.