Thread: Deconstruction of a chair - today at noon, Century Furniture

Default Deconstruction of a chair - today at noon, Century Furniture

Century's President, Alex Shuford, is going to take apart a high-quality upholstered chair today at noon eastern time in a webinar. Go here to register to watch and see you access code;

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...eid=74df9d0e8f

This is something you should watch if you want to learn about how good upholstery is made.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Deconstruction of a chair - today at noon, Century Furniture

I hope a few of you watched that, it was really good! An hour long tear-down of a Century Signature line chair. I was impressed and learned a few new things myself. They will eventually set up a link to see this video, I'll post it here when they do. You will see why good furniture costs what it does when you watch it.
    Duane Collie

I registered, then forgot about it while doing online mandatory education and missed it. I wish these Webinars were available to view on video after the fact.

It will be, I'll see if I can get a link once they put it up in the Century Dealer Portal. I think it's worth the one hour watch time - if you can remember just half of it, you'll know more than 98% off all furniture salespeople in all stores, that's how in-depth it is.

One of the takeaways from this video webinar is that it addresses why premium furniture costs what it does. The internet is just full of reviews of people that say "Don't buy this brand because its junk and failed on me in "x" years", and the truth is there's a lot of junk out there. . But this is what happens when your primary criteria is shopping by price, and not knowing what makes a good piece of furniture from one that's not so good. I see this every single day in my store, without exception. A potential client comes in and says "You have some nice stuff here but it's all too expensive. I want a really good leather sofa made in the USA but it has to be under $ 2,000". Well, guess what - I have nothing for you. You will have to go down the street to the store that has that price point, and they will be selling you something that looks OK and will work for a bit, but in three years you'll be one of those writing that negative review as the piece fails. I don't sell items that set my customers up for failure.

I get having a budget. Sometimes it's all you can spend. But other times its a limit that you have set for yourself just because you feel that's the most any piece is worth. That's the wrong way to go shopping. Rather, you want to learn why that more expensive piece is giving your for the added cost? Are you paying for content in the piece, or that fancy prime real estate the store is located in that costs 10x the overhead my store does? Are you buying steak, or sizzle? That's why you have to get educated, and that's why you want to watch these webinars when they are available. Because the store personnel are not going to know, so you have to self-educate. See the value in the price, and you'll be less inclined to set budgetary constraints on yourself.
    Duane Collie

I just found this forum a few days ago and am sad I missed this. Any link for the video yet?

Everything is down at Century, they had a malware attack on Saturday.
    Duane Collie