Thread: Dead Samples

Default Dead Samples

Covid-19 has really set the furniture industry sideways. Lots of orders, but Sales Reps are not going on the road. That means there will be a LOT of dead samples at the store that you go shopping at. We dealers don't clean out the discontinued fabrics and leathers ourselves, because we have to do it manually, and it takes hours and hours. The Sales Reps have a scanner and dedicated software to read the barcodes and pull them out in minutes, not hours. But since the Reps are not on the road, that means all stores selling furniture will have a lot of dropped samples that are still in the racks. I sell a lot of Hancock and Moore and did a manual clean-out of my main store handle today (the ones the customers use) and look at what I pulled, over 100 dropped leathers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dead leathers.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	13365

So when you go shopping, be SURE to not select just one leather or fabric, select several. Then ask if they are all current and be patient while they check, in many cases the dealer has to make a phone call to the factory (not happening on Saturdays and Sundays). Otherwise you may be placing an order only to get a phone call a week later that the cover you selected has been dropped and is no longer available. Have your back-up choices close at hand. This will eventually resolve itself and Reps will get back on the road in due time. For now, don't get your heart set on just one cover for your project until you can verify its current.

Also something to be aware of as well One of my clients called me to order leather furniture and had all her selections picked out. I wrote the order as per her specifications. When the furniture arrived it was not as she expected and she was convinced the factory mixed up the leathers and didn't send her what she ordered. After some investigative work, she did get exactly what she ordered, however she took the leather selection off a floor model at another store, and it was marked incorrectly on the tag. So BE SURE the cover you are ordering is accurate, and I always suggest getting a sample to make sure, don't go by what you might see on another store's price tag.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Dead Samples

Ouch, I feel bad for that customer. What a bummer, being all excited for your expensive delivery and then you get it and it isn't what you expected.

Default Re: Dead Samples

Yes, that was unfortunate. I felt bad for her but there was nothing I could do in that instance.

Recently I had a customer in California order a $ 10K sectional off photos, and I pretty much insisted he look at swatches which I send out to him before finalizing, even though he wanted to get the order in ASAP. That's a big purchase and I want to try to make sure everyone is happy, so its worth the extra few days to get swatches sent and try to eliminate any "oops" as best we can. Trying to eliminate the issues ahead of the order is one hundred times easier than looking for a corrective fix after delivery.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.