Thread: Canadel chairs good?

Default Canadel chairs good?

We are looking at kitchen chairs by canadel.
    We were told they are solid wood but they look kinda fake. Could be the finishing on them (very distressed).
    They seem sturdy. I like that they aren’t made in China.
    Any reviews on these ?

Default Re: Canadel chairs good?

I'm currently looking at the Canadel Eastside distressed dining set. About $ 2200 after 35% sale. Price is for table, 2 chairs, bench. Chairs are about $ 550 each before 35% discount.
    Reviews on Houzz are very mixed. Scratches easily, doesn't scratch. My dealer provides excellent service. One comment was that a chair leg was cut shorter and the chair wobbled. Yesterday, I checked the chairs. Sure enough,I found a wobbler on another set. The saleslady looked for an adjustment and couldn't find any.

I previously purchased a Stickley LR set from this dealer. They immediately ordered another ottoman after the one delivered had a repaired leg crack.
    I now prefer to buy in store furniture. You can check it out. No second guessing that you received something else.

Agree. I went with an Amish built set. Four heavy oak chairs. Leather cushioned seating area. Massive Oak table with 4 leaves extending to 9.5 ft. Heavy 4 ft., oak bench for added seating. Delivered by the store owner. Ohio made. Price was within $ 100 of the Canadel.
    I couldn't see the value in the Canadel. Looked flimsy compared to the Amish set.

That said, my 7 year old red oak Stickley Mission Chair with matching ottoman is still the home's showpiece.

I agree that Amish quality is probably way better, but mission style won't work in my home, which is a formal french/British Colonial.
    of course i guess i could have something custom but then i would pay a significant upcharge.
    I suppose i'll keep looking. I havne't read many positives about Canadel.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaL View Post
    I agree that Amish quality is probably way better, but mission style won't work in my home, which is a formal french/British Colonial.
    of course i guess i could have something custom but then i would pay a significant upcharge.
    I suppose i'll keep looking. I havne't read many positives about Canadel.

Added comment on your original post. The set I looked at was distressed. My wife really liked it. They had 5 chairs and a bench. All seating areas Sunbrella fabric. A plus to me. The table was 60 by 36, with a very distressed top. The table legs were metal. The table was very heavy. The store is a high end store ( Stickley, Century, Lexington), and the Canadel line was their low priced line. They don’t carry junk.

The reason I stayed away, was a wobbly chair on a different Canadel set. Since a reviewer elsewhere, stated they received a wobbly chair, due to one leg being shorter, with no response from Canadel, I passed.

I also believe you are better off buying off the floor. There are so many complaints about shipping damage, repaired items, the finish of tables not matching chairs, I’d rather buy off the floor, even though I need to make concessions, on the finish or size.

I looked at your link. For reading, tv chairs, I bought “Klein Design Brigger Chairs,”, about 20 years ago, when I had very bad back problems. Solved my problems. We bought one rocker and one zero gravity. The zero gravity and rocker can be hazardous to pets or toddlers when they go back, The chairs are still doing great. They ship them in a few cartons, and are very easy to assemble. I visited their plant in Gloucester Mass., during a visit to Boston. It looked like a big aircraft hangar and was a small family operation. I always got the owner or his wife when I called. Not the best web site, but they sent me a good catalog. Good Facebook page. I bought the first one at a small business in Columbus Ohio, and a second when I visited the plant. They have a sharp downward slant to them in the rear seating area, and as we aged, getting out of them became too difficult for my wife. My daughter got my wife’s.

If you have ever been to a workshop or factory where they product chairs, you will see that every one is made in a jig of some sort, even at the smallest workshops. It's virtually impossible for one chair leg to be cut shorter than the other due to the trimming setups they have in place, which level all four legs at once locked into a sliding jig. What does happen, however, is that 98% off all floors are uneven, from new homes to old, from tile to wood. That's the reason you often see adjusters on the bottom of the legs, because floors are not level. It's a issue that we run into constantly as a dealer in people's homes, and what we usually wind up doing to show them is place the chair atop their kitchen counter, which the majority of the time is level - to show them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I switched the chairs around. The wobbly chair was wobbly in the locations where the others were not. The other chairs were not wobbly in the wobbly chairs original position. The sales person tried to twist the bottom of the leg to adjust it and couldn't find any way to adjust it. I am not disputing your comment. It's possible the adjustment was frozen, possibly from being twisted too hard in. These are the things that cause a customer to walk away. I only checked legs on the adjacent set, after reading a comment on Houzz. Where do you find time to read all these comments?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    If you have ever been to a workshop or factory where they product chairs, you will see that every one is made in a jig of some sort, even at the smallest workshops. It's virtually impossible for one chair leg to be cut shorter than the other due to the trimming setups they have in place, which level all four legs at once locked into a sliding jig. What does happen, however, is that 98% off all floors are uneven, from new homes to old, from tile to wood. That's the reason you often see adjusters on the bottom of the legs, because floors are not level. It's a issue that we run into constantly as a dealer in people's homes, and what we usually wind up doing to show them is place the chair atop their kitchen counter, which the majority of the time is level - to show them.

There are other things that can make a chair wobbly, such as a hard drop on a leg that stresses the joint yet doesn't break it, then it will not sit flat. They could not adjust the adjuster? It's call pliers, lol...

I've been to at least twenty workshops over the years in person and seen chair jigs in most all of them - they really do leave straight and square from the factory and of course, there can always be a fluke such as wood shrinkage on one leg because it was made from wood from a different dried batch, but those are rarities. Who knows?

I read a lot of these after hours and on days off such as today (Mondays my store is closed) and I have to check the forum at least twice every day to throw off the spammers, otherwise they would over-run it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.