Thread: Semi-aniline for a recliner

Default Semi-aniline for a recliner

I am considering a new Hancock and Moore recliner. As I read about the type of leather it looked to me like the aniline with a protective finish might be a good option. I have had pure aniline and did a very poor job of cleaning the leather where my head rested and had a rather dark stain that looked not so good. I now know the need to clean all leathers but tend to thing that some protective treatment might be useful. When I tried to find the H&M semi-aniline leathers I found Class 2 leathers but it appears that all are from China. We are looking for a pale tan type leather and found some in the Class 2 category but wonder if China leather is as good as others? Any suggestions as to the type and whether we should avoid the leather from China or, for that matter, any other thoughts

Default Re: Semi-aniline for a recliner

I actually did read the link previously which is how I came to like the semi-aniline with it being a dyed rather than painted leather. I wondered about the fact that most of the semi-aniline in H&M seem to come from China. Maybe I shouldn’t be concerned?

There probably isn't, but I have hesitation on some made in China products that involve paint/dye, nonstick, etc. I remember the lead paint in Chinese imported toys in the 80s and 90s. Even a couple of years ago some toys from China are still found to contain lead. I would expect H&M to conduct consumer safety and quality standards on leather samples as it would hurt consumers and tarnish their reputation. I went with class 3 burnish leathers for the sofa and chair I ordered.

Here's a 2014 thread that includes a list of leathers Duane knows, at least at the time, that originate in China.
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...69-So-confused!

Where is the cell phone that you are now using made? The USA? Italy? Germany? No, its either made in China or Korea, same as your flat screen TV and the computer or tablet/i-Pad you are using to read this forum. My fancy carbon fiber frame bicycle with world-class components is made in Taiwan. The Yeti camp chairs (top of the line) ....China. Even my Thermador Refrigerator in my home is made in Turkey. The fact is - this is a world economy and the stigmas that are attached to Pacific rim countries are holdovers from the last century. China has no cattle industry, ever seen a photo of cows grazing in the fields over there? There are not any. The USA mandated most leather tanneries out of existence over twelve years ago, because they are indeed gross polluters and require millions of dollars in recovery equipment to operate cleanly. Horween Leather still operates in Chicago, but their hides are too stiff for upholstery. There's a few boutique tanneries in the USA that bypass OSHA and EPA requirements due to their Mom and Pop size, but not many and they tend to do things like Bison hides, rather than Cow. Cattle hides, or "crusts" as they are know in the business are salted for the trip from USA slaughterhouses and sent to China for processing, where pollution is rampant and life+ pages is cheap, then it comes back as finished leathers. And just line in America, there are shoddy operators and world class facilities. Leathers from China tend to be extremely consistent with little variability, yet a couple of times a week I hear "I don't want a leather from China". Why? Because of production on some toy items forty years ago? The chemicals used in tanning leather are carcinogenic, and that doesn't matter where the leather comes from. What matters is how the tannery is run, and Tim Rogers, President of Hancock and Moore goes to every single tannery in they source from and has for years and years. They know who runs a clean operation and who doesn't.

Semi-Anilines tend to have a nice hand, but they really fall into the top-coated segment, they are closer to a finished leather than a pure aniline hide. The quality of hides these days is so good, I would challenge anyone to take a blind test on a leather such as H&M's Nirvana* series and tell me the price grade on it, or if its a finished leather or pure aniline. Its so good, it will fool most experts in leather.

* Grade 1 Finished leather
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-26-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane, Thanks, that answers my questions. Basically H&M leather from anywhere is OK because they do such a good job making sure it is well done. So when going through the prices which you so kindly posted I noticed there are headrest and arm covers. I did not know that H&M had such things. That being the case I am thinking that unprotected may be OK as it is surely nicer on "Day 1" and the major problems I've had in the past are the head area. I gather I would order them when I order the chair.

The whole key to pure anilines and head area stains is to be pro-active. You have to clean and condition before it becomes an issue, not after you notice the stains. Yes, you can buy headrest and arm caps in the same leather as the recliner if you like. However, they are not inexpensive and if you stay up with the cleaning, you really don't need them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.