Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mattress Recs?

Quote Originally Posted by green-minded View Post
    While on vacation last week, we were finally able to try Royal-Pedic. I was surprised that their latex mattress felt much firmer than the cotton, which was still too firm for me. I liked both beds with the 5" topper, but not the prices (over $6000 for a king latex with topper). They look like great products, but I think I'll take a look at the Sealy spring-free and some other brands.
    That's interesting! I find the all-cotton beds to be firmer than the latex models by quite a wide margin! That 5" topper is a big boy....

I sell that combo for $ 5,716 delivered (add sales tax if in VA), but that's pretty close to that price you found. (std line)

There is a difference in "latex", there is man-made synthetic and there is natural. Of course, the natural latex is far more expensive. When shopping beds, see if you can find out the content of the latex. Natural is better and lasts longer. On Royal-Pedic beds, their regular line latex is a blend of 70% natural/30% man-made, and their organic line is 100 % natural (and more expensive as a result).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

yogi Guest

I also have a springfree matress that was purchased in October. We love the matress but have noticed a body impression one on each side where we sleep. Do you have the same impression on your? I thought that would not happen to the extent it did and the matress cost over 2200 for a king.

Price has nothing to do with durability in bedding. That's the nature of the bedding industry (the sleazy part of the home furnishing business). if they can market a bed to a customer for $ 2,200 and its really a $ 500 bed, most will do it. Bedding makers confuse the customers INTENTIONALLY (in my opinion) by piling on technical specifications and endorsements from doctors, and warranties that are not worth the paper they are written on, and so forth. Its very difficult for a consumer to purchase a bed and make sure they are getting a quality unit. What you really need to be able to see is a full cutaway of the box and matt in most cases - which you usually can't.

When you cut through all the marketing crap (and thats what it is), you're left with a few basic bed types.

Now in my opinion, there are two ways to buy a bed. I will only buy Royal-Pedic or the upper tier Shifman lines for myself and family. However if that's not affordable, then I'd buy what I call am inexpensive 'hotel grade' bed from the mass makers and then discipline myself to throw it out every three years and get a new set.

Body impressions are evident in every bedding from every maker. You should rotate your mattress on a regular basis (I would never buy one of the "never need to rotate beds"). If your body impressions are deeper than 2" than the center part of the mattress and do not come out with rotating and flipping the matt, you have a failure in the matt and it needs to be replaced.
    Duane Collie

Amy Guest

Default Finally time

It's time to give up the ghost on my old mattress (too old to even admit) - so I've begun my hunt. I need a queen bed but don't want to spend a fortune. I think a RoyalPedic would be beyond my budget. I'm a side and stomach sleeper. I went to a local mattress store and found that the Beautyrest NXG Plush was the most comfy - but I'm really just beginning my search. On the other hand, now that I've made the decision to buy, I'm eager to move forward. I was thinking of getting a set from Costco online. They seem to have Sealy and Stearns and Foster beds - but I can't identify the models by the names they use. Do you have any thoughts about the Costco products? Any guidance on how to proceed? What about the Beautyrest NXG?

Thanks, Duane, for sharing your experience and wisdom.

Hi Amy,

I don't have any experience with those other labels in particular, but generally speaking you're pretty much OK with any new mattress and box spring, just don't overpay. The single largest problem in bedding is breakdown rate. Some bedding is used up in 2 to 3 years, other premium brands can go up to 15 years. Most people hang onto their bedding far too long. You have to toss it and buy new when its used up.

I'm at Marriott's Barony Beach Resort in Hilton Head SC as I type this and my wife and I cannot believe how broken down the King size bed is in this four-star resort. It's just terrible, and we toss and turn all night and both wake up with very sore backs. Just this morning we said to each other that it will be good to get back to our Royal-Pedic and get a decent nights sleep. I don't say that because I sell R-P, I say it because its really true. Marriott normally does a better job of replacing bedding on a timely basis, but not only are all the beds in this condo broke-down, but the sitting furniture is beyond terrible as well. Guess I'm spoiled by the good stuff. The sofa and chairs in the main sitting room are so badly sprung and cushions non-supportive that I've moved the coffee table out of the way and taken to sitting on the floor when watching the TV at night.

So get the bed you like, and that's within your budget. Expect a lifespan of 5 to 7 years of the Costco bedding, and get rid of it when its no longer supportive. Good luck!
    Duane Collie

Amy Guest

Thanks, Duane. Sorry you, of all people, has to put up with a bad bed in a four star hotel. You're THE bed expert! (I've read your advice on Garden Web as well and really appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.) I hope you can enjoy your getaway weekend anyway.

You didn't comment on the Beautyrest NXG. Do you know anything about that line? I

green-minded Guest

I finally decided to mail-order a Flo-Bed latex mattress with customized split cores and a convoluted topper, which cost about $2500. It was a little risky, but came with a 90-day full return option. The 90 days is almost up and it's a keeper as we're quite comfortable. One of the reasons I chose this type of bed is that it doesn't have any polyurethane foam, which off-gases and is prone to body indentions.

Applegator Guest

Default Re: Mattress Recs?

Hi Cinlo, Which ever mattress you choose I'd recommend lying on it for at least 30 minutes or more before buying it. I just bought a Serta Gel 1st Super Plush Top mattress which felt soft in the store but is way too firm to sleep on. There went $900. down the drain.

Give you new mattress time to break in...typically a month. If its still too firm, invest in a 3" topper to add more plush to it. These will do the trick for a too-firm bed (not inexpensive, however)

http://www.royal-pedic.com/RPPads.asp
    Duane Collie

Applegator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Give you new mattress time to break in...typically a month. If its still too firm, invest in a 3" topper to add more plush to it. These will do the trick for a too-firm bed (not inexpensive, however)

http://www.royal-pedic.com/RPPads.asp
    Hi Duane, Thank you for the excellent advice! I'll give it 30 days and then look into a 3" topper if it is still too firm.