Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recliner vs Tilt Back

ckeefer Guest

Default Re: Recliner vs Tilt Back

We're 5'6" and 5'7" and we got the high backs, but we wanted to be sure we could put our heads back and have full support, the regular back is a little low.

I've had my Austin "regular back" chair and ottoman (2023NB/8131NB) for about two months. I LOVE IT!! I'm 5'4" and it fits me perfectly. My husband (5'9") says it's one of the most comfortable chairs he's ever sat in. I've been known to recline fully and take a long nap frequently.

Although the chair and ottoman are two furniture purchases, we especially like the flexibility of having the ottoman for extra seating for visiting family and guests.

Good luck on your search!

Thanks CKeefer and juliepooch ,

It's good to knowyour heights, I'll have to re-consider the high-back rather than the lower backed Austin.
    The high backed chairs would probably better for most of our guest (ya, like I'm going to give up our H&M chairs! lol), if they are comfortable for people a little shorter than ourselves, then, the higher backed seating would be more suitable.

Thanks very much to all that have responded, I really appreciate the information and experiences.

Now, we have to go and sit in some seats; I may be back with more questions and observations, but it might be a month or so before we can go to the big city, which would involve a $100 return ferry ride and a night or two in a hotel.

Cheers!

BrentB,
    May I make an observation? My husband and I are practically the same height when sitting on dining chairs for example. Our height difference is only evident when we stand. Consequently, our upholstered furniture tends to fit both of us. We're equally comfortable on our Austin, either upright or fully reclined.

Thanks for the observation juliepooch,

Knowing that people shorter than ourselves are comfortable in the taller seating, is really good news. It takes out some of the guess workout of choosing between the different height seats.

And taller people than us will make do with the tallest seats that work for my wife and i.

Life is good. Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words. I just realized that I neglected to mention that we have the Austin Tilt Back, model 2032. I much prefer the tilt back to our H&M non-Austin recliner. Yes, life is good!!

Carol Burke Guest

I have had this tilt chair for almost 10 years and I love it! It is so much more comfortable to sit in and recline, as you can just move it a couple of inches or go almost flat out (hand me the blanket and and say good night!)

I like it so much that when I have friends over I make them try it out, as it is so different than the other reclining chairs on the market. Great for reading, or for doing needle work.. Has held up very well.

Carol,

How tall are you? It would be good if someone close to 5' 8" would make a comment on the fit and comfort.

I once was in the Canadian Military (airfarce), and there was a woman with the same name, but I think Burke could have been spelled Berke.

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it!

Ok, we have returned from our trip to the "BIG" CITY.

That tilt-back feature is as great as everyone says it is!' And, my butt also says that it sits great as well. But, (there's always a but), the 21" seat depth is too great for me, although my wife said that it fits her nicely. I believe that she is longer from her back to the back of her kneesthan I. I always felt like I was reclined even in the full upright position because the seat was too deep.
    We don't really have enough room for 2 more ottomans with the furniture we already have.
    And the dealers where I live wanted $9,200(Cdn) for 2 recliners, and plus taxes, plus $1,4xx for 1 ottoman which although doable was a bit of a turn-off (exclusivity for that dealers' network here).

After many stors, we found the Bradington-Young 4114 to fit us both nicely, and we wanted the recliners to match. We also liked the 4010, but the 4114 was taller and more supportive for the back and head.
    Sadly, the prices of the B-Y will be about a third of what the H&M go for here.
    So, we need to narrow the B-Y recliners' options and place in an order.
    Last edited by BrentB; 04-26-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Clarification.