Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusion: which model HM sofa?

greenmoser Guest

Smile Confusion: which model HM sofa?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some opinions on two Hancock and Moore sofas. I have already decided on the Journey Recliner and had originally thought to go with the Journey Sofa (actually two of them!). But I really like the looks of the Evening sofa too! I have been comparing measurements and reading every post on this forum to get comparisons. It seems that they should sit about the same. We want a good-size, comfy sofa that our family of four can snuggle up in for movie night! If any owns or has sat in these two sofas I would appreciate any comments, however subjective, that could help me decide. My husband is 6'1' and I am 5'7". Thanks in advance!!!

Sarah Guest

Default Re: Confusion:which model HM sofa?

Both are good looking sofas w/ similar lines. I sat in both of the sofas a while back (but I do not own either of them) and they did have a very similar sit-feel. Good luck in your decision-making - either sofa will be a wonderful addition that you should enjoy for many years to come.

Two different sits on these. The Journal is a tight back, and sits firmer, especially in the back. It also has a roll-back feature on the top of the back and 'sits out' from a wall because of that. The Journey on the other hand, is a loose back and seriously built for comfort. Those arm cushions means you never need a pillow to take a nap on, either!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

greenmoser Guest

Thanks for the input! I am actually looking at the Evening vs Journey. Not Journal vs Journey. I do think those extra cushy arms look comfy! I was under the impression that the Journey cushions were attached is this true?
    Last edited by greenmoser; 11-11-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Ah, well the EVENING is biased slightly more towards style, but is still a popular and comfortable sofa. I've never had any negative comments on either frame, post-sale.

Both Journey and Evening are loose back cushions, but they are held in place with strong commercial velcro bands, so you have to give them a pretty good tug to remove them.

JOURNEY still wins as the comfort scrimmage IMHO. Its seriously built for that.
    Duane Collie

greenmoser Guest

I think from reading previous posts I am getting confused as to the terms "loose" and "attached". In an early post it was confirmed that the Journey sofa has "attached" back cushions. Does this mean with strips of heavy duty velcro? Or are they loose, loose like a pillow with no attachments whatsoever? I remember one post (i think) where the term "fixed" was also used. Sorry to be so dense but I just want to be sure.

No worries! What good are forums but to explain the differences? Thats the reason for these venues. And I made an error.....the Journey is NOT a loose cushion sofa, its semi-attached. Sorry.

Here's what the different types of cushion terminology means in upholstery world:

Loose: Means the back cushions come off the sofa easily. They can simply be set onto the piece, or secured by velcro. Pros: Easy to replace internal cores, they zip in and out. Cons: Can look frumpy. Also, tend to be softer or more plush than a tight back (can be a pro or a con, depending on what you are looking for).

Semi-Attached: Has the appearance of a loose cushion but is sewn into the back cover so it cannot be removed. Soft and plush like a loose cushion, but cannot be removed, has a crisper look than fully loose and maintains its form better. Cannot easily change the internal cores, requires an upholster to do so in most cases. The major concern with semi-attached is one must never grab a back cushion and pull on the sofa to move it by the cushion as it can - and will = rip the cushion from the back cover (leather or fabric).

Tight Back: Fully upholstered to the back of the piece. Retains its shape perfectly and does not shift. Sits firm in the back. No inner cores to crush or be concerned about. Allows for more style than the others. Cons? Cannot repair the back cushion area, requires full teardown of the cover.
    Duane Collie

greenmoser Guest

Default Re: Confusion: which model HM sofa?

Thank you so much for clarifying. Now that I know that the Journey is semi-attached (and what that means) can I ask the same of the Evening? Is it also semi-attached? Other than the arms, does the Evening sit as comfy as the Journey? The width is listed as being slightly larger than the Journey and that in itself appeals to us.
    Last edited by greenmoser; 11-15-2009 at 08:38 AM.

The Evening sofa is loose cushion, so its held on with the Velcro.

I think you're about at a draw on the Journey vs Evening on a subjective comfort level. Kind of like going to Baskin-Robbins and trying to figure out if the Butter Pecan ice cream is better than the Pralines and Cream. They're both REALLY good ice cream cones!
    Duane Collie

greenmoser Guest

I think Journey it will be then! Thanks for your time and I will let you know when I am ready for a quote!!