Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Quality Brands to look at in Reclining Sofas or Sectionals?

Default Decent Quality Brands to look at in Reclining Sofas or Sectionals?

Given I don't have a clear idea of realistic price points on brands (I don't seem to have much luck negotiating price at my local retailer, getting 10% off has been the best I have been able to get them to move on anything) sooooo.... I'm really not sure what brands I can consider when looking at motion furniture. I typically have champagne taste on a (mid to high-end) beer budget...ha. Several years ago when we weren't even looking for reclining furniture I sat in a H&M reclining sofa... it was like a dream... when I saw the price tag it scared me enough to jump out of it before I accidentally marred it somehow.... My sister works for H&M and I can't buy through her or get a discount and even she says she can't afford to furnish her home with it.

I sat in a super comfy BY reclining sofa, on the sales floor more recently. The footprint was relatively small compared to my 10+-year-old Lee Industries Sofa/Apartment Sofa that is still in great shape, all things considered. I would likely have to buy 2 of the BY sofas to replace my current seating space, and the price as it was made (lower mid-grade/priced leather)was nearly 8 grand. I don't want to spend 16K on 2 sofas. I just don't. BUT- if she had it priced at retail, and they could be had for 50% off that price, well...... that might be something I could consider.

My situation has changed since I splurged on my current furniture. When we bought our furniture 10 yrs ago, we were a dual-income family and it was the first time I got to custom-order furniture in my life~!!-- My fabric choices -pillows, all the details...we got all down cushions and really did the whole room up nice... some of it is showing it's age, but honestly I have never had furniture last this long in my life. Life changes though and now I am on disability, additionally I broke my leg and hip early last year and still rehabbing and in pain daily. Even though I replaced the down cushions with standard years ago, I still can't use those sofas anymore. Not enough support. I really need to get a reclining sofa and love seat or sectional. We do have recliners but there is no way to rearrange the space so I can use the recliner to watch television from it.

With the medical issues the articulating headrest that was in BY was perfect and the endless seating positions were awesome as well. Someone told me to try out Flexsteel for a better pricepoint but found them huge and clunky... uncomfortable for my personal build.

I know you get what you pay for. However, I have no idea where to even look besides HIGH-END or GARBAGE. And I have no idea what a realistic price range for the brands are. I know they vary wildly based on leather choices, etc. I just need some brands to consider and ones to probably stay clear of... If it lasts 10 years or so I'm good. Sorry for the long-winded/all over the place message, but wanted to give enough detail to let you know all the things I am up against. Any advice? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Decent Quality Brands to look at in Reclining Sofas or Sectionals?

I think this post from 2019 will help you.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...8589#post38589

I think for Bradington Young you are looking at the $5k range rather than $8k, but I am not up on the latest prices.

What you are going to find is wild swings in dealer pricing, it can vary considerably on the same exact item by several thousand dollars, it's not like buying cars where most all dealers are within a few hundred of one another. If a dealer "negotiates" 10% on a price, then its a given they are already higher than another store. At my store, I work wholesale plus and quote prices with a cash/check discount, then add 3% for credit cards because that's what credit cards cost to process. I don't do percentages off MSRP because that's silly - MSRP is a fairly tale and unrealistic. But I quote one price and one only - there is no negotiation in any way, shape or form. I find most my clients like that because it cuts through all the smoke and mirrors for everyone.

B-Y builds a good motion piece. They use the same mechanisms on most items as Hancock and Moore (Leggett and Platt, and Ultra Mek) so lifespan of frames, springs, mechs is all the same. Leathers as well. These are the major differences between H&M and B-Y: One is the foaming of the piece and tailoring. Foam is the second most expensive thing in the build, and B-Y skimos on it on the area of the sides and backs of the pieces, H&M does not. While that doesn't make the piece last longer, it does result in a nicer unit. Second, H&M frames are more stout with less flex in them. Next, the workmanship is significantly higher in seams work, welt trims, pulling the leather tight, sewn instead of folds, legs integrated into the frames vs screw ins and the like. Finally H&M sends you free cushion core replacements when your seat and back cores lose their resilience (to the original owner only - save your receipt). It would cost you $ 800 to re-core a B-Y sofa seats and backs, nothing for H&M.

If you decide to go B-Y, look at the 200 series, they are the cutting edge vs the older 900 series dual recliner sofas. In fact, B-Y has beat H&M to market with that 200 series, it's done really nicely with a unique rigid back structure. H&M will be following shortly with a new Your Way 2 series that will have the same framework, but don't expect theirs to be shown until April / May 2021. If I was in the market for a new Dual Recliner sofa, I'd be buying that 200 series myself right now, that's how good it is, or wait for the Spring release of the new H&M lineup.

Flexsteel....pass.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Odd. I replied last night, but poof...nothing here.

Thanks for all the info! Do you quote/sell/deliver to Wa State if I were to find something I'm interested in? I honestly don't know who all sells BY here locally, but there is only one, count 'em, ONE, retailer of H&M in the closest Metro city to me. I saw a piece of theirs online I was interested in checking out and I know no one can carry everything, but it was not on ANY showroom floor even if I drove 24 hrs in any direction.

I looked for the "200" BY... is that just any model that starts with a 2? They all seem to have names, like the Dixon or the Ridge...something or other, it's escaping me now. Are the sectionals going to jump drastically in cost? I need to replace a relatively large sofa and apartment sofa. They don't have to both be motion I suppose, but I guess I need to give that more thought. I would likely have a designated "spot" I would sit in, with all my "do-dads" one keeps about when they are relaxing on the couch. unless that's only me (doubt it).

I didn't notice anything that said it had an articulating headrest. it said "power" but I found there is a difference, but not knowledgeable enough to know all the differences. Is there a specific one I should be looking at?

Also, how does one typically go about coordinating leathers? We have 2 leather recliners now, kind of a green-gray for a lack of a better description, and our Sofas are a Chocolate Brown shimmery fabric. Sounds a little odd but it seems to work I think because of the texture differences. But Leather to Leather?.... Someone told me once you just do it with accessories like throw pillows and throw blankets. I can see how that might work when the room is dressed up, but my family room is a used space, not a dressed-up space.

Thanks again

It's a little awkward navigating B-Y's website, its makes sense to their webmaster, but to no one else. Here's the 200 series, all the same price, you just select which design features you prefer.

https://www.bradington-young.com/css...nd-Options.pdf

Yes, I have several clients in Washington State. Keep in mind you're as far away from North Carolina as one can possibly be and still live in the Continental USA, so shipping/delivery costs to your area can be significant. Leather swatches you can get free of charge (up to a dozen) just go to the QUOTES AND ORDER section here on the forum to make a request and list the leathers by number (not by name).

Sectionals usually cost more than a sofa / loveseat combo. The problem with a motion sectional is you would tend to sit in just one spot, and over time that becomes excessively worn while the rest of the piece looks really good. So you run the risk of having to replace the entire unit due to one worn out area. If Sofa/Loveseat, then you can just replace the one.

Color coordination is not so much the leathers, but your entire room palette coupled with color preferences that you might have.
    Duane Collie

Thanks. I may be making this harder than it is...and I suppose there are "no rules" (unless you ask a designer...) but, my recliners are I'd say, transitional style. They aren't in any way big puffy den style or masculine looking, imo. They DO have a 2 piece back (but not overstuffed) with smaller scale rolled arms and nailhead trim. I like the look of the Revelin, with the single back and side nail trim but it contrasts my recliners for sure. Also, if 90% of the time, only one seat is being used, won't that back cushion flatten and the leather stretch etc, or do they come off so they can be moved around for even wear? Do the motion and non-motion versions work interchangeably? I'm wondering if that can save us some $$.

Back cushions don't come off, seat cushions do, however they are not always interchangeable, about half the time they are not.

Don't plan on swapping motion with non-motion. I don't know if they can or not - they may very well, but I can't tell you they will swap over.
    Duane Collie

What I meant, if I wasn't clear, was that I probably just one piece to be motion, the sofa, and would be ok with a like-styled stationary love seat, assuming they actually look the same. If it makes a big price difference. Given our household of 3 adults, 2 are usually using the space most of the time (but it's a large room, and when family visits, 8 squeezes in now and it's not enough). My Husband still plans to use his recliner. So..mostly this is for me, and mostly because of my medical issues and desire to see our TV without sitting sideways 8 inches from the tube. Which, with a broken leg, I can no longer curl up into a ball and do! Of course, if the units look different or the price difference isn't worth it, I would get both motion.

Yes, Bradington Young was clever in that make non-motion matching pieces for all their recliner units, which surprisingly a lot of makers do not.
    Duane Collie

I'll take a look at the leathers before I ask more... thanks so much for your time thus far!!!