Thread: Slow Delivery Times

Default Slow Delivery Times

The furniture industry has really slowed down due to Covid, not in orders - but in delivery times and logistics. There are supply chain issues, and as well as shortage of personnel in the factories (for the first time in years Hancock and Moore has an ad out for factory upholstery workers). A lot of older workers have retired due to Covid, and some are taking medical leaves during the pandemic. The transportation industry has also taken a huge hit, not enough people to load and unload trucks. While we hear in the news almost daily about millions being out of work, there are plenty of jobs available in warehouse and loading. For example, I use Murrow's Transfer and in normal times they get a sofa from North Carolina to me in 5 days. I had one ship out of Hancock and Moore on Dec 11th and it just arrived today (Jan 5th), that 25 days and even if you take off a few work days for the Holidays, still 4x longer. They have no manpower to unload and load trucks and no one wants those warehouse and trucking jobs.

This is happening across all manufacturers and all transport companies. If you have something on order, or plan to order it, realize that any seller is going to give you a best guess on timeframe, but the reality is things are taking much longer than we usually anticipate. I find the vast majority of my customers completely understand and are patient, its just the times we live in.

On a personal note, my wife and I ordered a new Thermador Oven for the house on August 4th and here it is 5 months later and we don't have it, and they can't tell us even when they expect to. Good thing our ancient GE oven still works!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

Default Re: Slow Delivery Times

Case in point, this from Hooker Furniture today.

Hooker Furniture
    January 5, 2020

To Our Valued Partner,

Happy New Year! I think we are all ready to say goodbye to 2020, but hopeful to continue the incredible demand we have experienced in our industry since mid-May. As mentioned in our previous letter, the increased demand has created unprecedented supply and logistical issues. Currently, the most pressing challenge is container availability, and shipping rates that are approaching three times our normal average. The logistics community estimates there will be little to no relief until April or later. We hope that will not be the case, but despite the financial impact we continue to aggressively book shipments at these higher rates in order to avoid supply disruption and out of stock positions. We believe proactively avoiding additional supply disruption is still the right strategy even with the additional costs that are being incurred. Unfortunately, the 2.5% surcharge that we previously announced on Nov. 4th needs to be increased. Fully covering the increased costs would require a surcharge of over 10% which is not our direction. Our goal is to fairly balance the financial impact. To accomplish this objective, we are implementing the following:

For Orders out of our Martinsville, VA warehouse submitted after 1/15/2021: A surcharge of 5% will be applied as a line item to your invoice. The new 5% surcharge REPLACES the current 2.5% surcharge we announced on Nov. 4, 2020. It is NOT in addition to.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for