Thread: Disaster at DSL/Jot Furniture Manufacturing Inc. in Toronto

Angry Disaster at DSL/Jot Furniture Manufacturing Inc. in Toronto

I am desperately in need of help. I ordered a customized upholstered tufted bed from DSL/Jot Furniture Manufacturing Inc. in Toronto and it was a disaster. My wife and I went to several furniture stores to get a customized bed. Most of the stores showed us the same brochure and on the front of the brochure, it was labelled DSL/JOT Furniture. We thought to ourselves, why don't we cut out the middle man and directly go to the manufacturing company. That's exactly what we did and things went downhill.

Jas, the owner of the company assured us that he can make whatever we want, and he did. Upon delivery, it was wrapped and Jas unwrapped a small part to show us his craftmanship. It looked perfect, but after unwrapping everything, we were very very very disappointed. Long story short, we called and even visited his store, tried to work with him on a solution, and he blocked our numbers instantly. He admitted on the phone that there was a problem with the bed, but it was already too late to fix it so he hoped we wouldn't see it. He mentioned that there are more than 1000 staples and nails and to take them out will be the same as making a new bed.

Lesson learned: Always inspect your bed before accepting delivery unless you have a legally binding contract that will accept returns for defective products.

ANY IDEA ON HOW TO FIX THE LINE ON BOTH THE BOTTOM LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE OF THE HEADBOARD? I'm thinking of a DIY solution, but I don't want to ruin it further.

See pictures, please.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-01-11 at 5.58.33 PM.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	13593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-01-11 at 5.58.33 PM (1).jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	13594

Default Re: Disaster at DSL/Jot Furniture Manufacturing Inc. in Toronto

Honestly, if there was a simple enough solution for a DIY, I think they would have repaired it for you. If the manufacturer says they would have to remake the whole bed, then it sounds like a DIY solution is highly unlikely. Maybe others will have some other ideas for you. There is no picture of the entire headboard so Its kind of hard to imagine, but is it possible to just hide it with pillows with shams? This is when a good retailer really earns their money. They always have more clout than you do because the manufacturer is more afraid of losing all their business than losing just your business. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Well, I will tell you something I have learned from thirty-five years in this business and you may not want to hear it, but here goes.

Any manufacturer who has a dealer network in place and will sell to you for less than the retail stores prices: 1) Has no ethics or morals 2) Needs the money.

I have seen this time and time again, and if one of my suppliers does that he is instantly thrown out of my store. And I mean INSTANTLY. I have tossed about a dozen over three and a half decades. As a retail store owner, why do I want to invest my dollars into a product for showroom and inventory, when the maker is willing to undercut me on price and selling out the side door? I may spend several hours with a client and then if they decide they want to buy the product, but figure like you did that they would try to save some money and buy direct, and spend the time to go to the manufacturer. Know how I find out? They come back to the store and tell me! Or, they want me to help them fix a problem with what they bought. In any case, if you are that kind of person - I ask that you stay out of my store, you have no respect for my time and dollars I have spent to run a business.

Because that maker will sell you direct, and undercut his dealers - you should know automatically he is a person of low character. Think about it. And only someone desperate for cash flow is going to do that because he knows he is risking his dealership relations in order to make a few hundred dollars. Chances are if he needs the money, all his good workers have left already, and he has the dregs of hit workforce left, which is why you got what you did. This is not an exception, it happens because of those reasons. And he tells you "tough luck". You were scammed, because he "showed you a corner" then made a dash with your cash.

Legally binding contract? What's that going to do for you? Nothing. You have to be prepared to take him to Court to enforce a contract. But you don't need a contract to take this slimeball to court. In America we have Small Claims Court, where amounts under $ 5,000 are very easy to prosecute. I don't know about Canada, but if you do - that's your avenue for restitution.

You can't repair that piece, you don't have the skill set. Sorry.

And I also have to say you outsmarted yourself trying to "cut out the middleman". When you buy from a reputable dealer such as my store, I inspect every piece of furniture and that would never had been delivered to you. I protect my customers from issues such as this. Then, I get on the phone when I see poor craftsmanship like that and raise hell with my supplier. Most my suppliers I do $ 150,000 a year with to $ 500,000 a year with. Do you think they are going to blow me off? No way....because they are not going to jeopardize that cash flow. You as a side door consumer don't matter, its what...a $ 2,000 sale? Does he care if you ever come back? Not a chance, you are left swinging in the wind and have no sympathy from me.

Jas knows there is about a 1/2 of 1% chance you will take him to court, he's rolling the dice on that. He will lose if you do, judges take dim views of manufacturers who will not rectify poor workmanship. So you can surprise him and do that, or simply lick your wounds and call it a day, that's your call. Either way, you learned a valuable lesson on this.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-12-2021 at 09:38 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you for your feedback SueCT and drcollie. This is a very valuable lesson and I learned a lot throughout the process. I'm a new graduate and it's my first time buying furniture to move out. With a tight budget, I tried to save money but "you get what you pay for" in this case. We have a similar court system also called the Small Claims Court, but honestly, it's not worth the time and money. The bed cost $1500 CAN and I would rather work a bit harder and buy a new bed. All I could do is to leave him a bad review on his social media, I guess...

I have taken unscrupulous businesses to Small Claims Court four times, the first time I was 20 years old and still in College. I have won every time, too. There is great satisfaction in watching them squirm in front of the Judge and the entire Courtroom. And squirm they do. Because you have the Truth on your side and all they have is excuses. Because they are out of money and upset that you dragged them into Court, they usually refuse to pay the judgement. And then you call the Sherriff and have their business padlocked until they do - more satisfaction. They always pay when the padlocks go on the doors.

Do it, you will stand a little taller and appreciate how your judicial system works. Let him get away with this and he's going to do it to the next guy and the next one and so on. All you have to do in Small Claims Court is tell the truth, the judge will do the rest.
    Duane Collie

Assuming you did not use a major credit card to pay for it. IF you did, contact them and file a claim with them to reverse the charges.

Thanks drcollie. I will definitely consider that option.

SueCT, they only accepted cash but they did write up an invoice.

They accept only cash? As in paper money? I expect your local taxing authority would love to know that. Nothing like a Sales Tax Audit to really blow a business up.
    Duane Collie