Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions..

Default Re: Decisions, decisions..

Sammysmoon... you can go to the Photo Gallery to see and Austin 8234 sofa in Antelope Saddle. This is a very nice leather choice. The photos you will see are from a piece approx. 4.5 years old at the time.

Good Luck in your choices

sammysmoon Guest

Smile Re: Decisions, decisions..

Cuse69 Thanks so much. That is a very nice looking leather.

I hear you, and know how frustrating it is to find a sofa that feels comfortable for you AND the men in the house. Most the time your feet will not be on the floor unless you get one small enough and then your husband and son won't like it. I even made a suggestion to the head people at H&M that they make a sofa with one side having an electric adjustable seat (similar to a power seat mechanism in a car). That way someone your side could bring it forward and down without moving the whole sofa. Not sure they thought my idea would sell, however.

I've had both the Downes and City comet through the store. I'm partial to the Downes because I like the attached back cushions and overall styling. THey will sit about the same, with the Downes being slightly firmer in the back vs. The City.

The B-Y is on a different level. The 674 is blocky looking, and dated. Also, I cannot stand the paneled back which to me screams 'cheap' ! You will never see that on an H&M, they don't use pieced up leather like that.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sammysmoon Guest

Wink Re: Decisions, decisions..

Thanks again Duane. I do like the styling of the Downes sofa too. Do you have any opinion on the Antelope saddle vs. Antelope rust? Is one much redder or browner than the other? I wondered about the cushion style with the seams on the B-Y. I was only going by a photo and have not actually seen one in person. You answered my question. I had asked a salesman about the cushions and he thought they looked just fine but I thought maybe not... I am going to try and do a little more leg work regarding the Downes sofa and hope to be able to make a decision within the next week or so. Your help is sincerely appreciated.

Saddle is a brown with a just a hint of red, and Rust is a true burgundy. Both handsome colors, just depends if you would like brown or burgundy.

Seams on the face of any cushion are a sign of cheapness in leather furniture. Its much more costly to use full, 1-piece hides per seating cushion area. They may tell you that its part of the 'design element' of the piece, but those of us in the trade peg 'em immediately as an economy move.

The Downes is a nice piece. Don't think you would be disappointed, especially in the Antelope hides.
    Duane Collie

sammysmoon Guest

Question Re: Decisions, decisions..

Thanks again Duane. Then how does the antelope nugget compare to the saddle and rust? Also, how would you describe the Columbia Butternut? Sorry for all of these questions but I'm not sure how true a color my computer monitor shows. I would appreciate any input or comparisons you can make.

sammysmoon Guest

Question Re: Decisions, decisions..

Sorry, Duane I also meant to inquire about the Columbia coffee vs. The Columbia butternut. Thanks.

Columbia is the best of the fully finished hides (you can see photos of several pieces in Colombia in PHOTO RESOURCES section of the LEATHER forum). Its class 1, but its not in the same league as Antelope.

Coffee is dark brown, Butternut is warm mid-tones.
    Duane Collie

sammysmoon... we replaced the Austin sofa and chair pictured on the Photo Gallery with a new Journal sofa and Grainger tilt back chair in Columbia Coffee. My wife wanted to redecorate and change the color scheme.
    We like the color and hand of the Columbia and is a lit less glossy than the Antelope Saddle on the Austin pieces. The Antelope is certainly a great leather and seems at least to be to be a bit more substantial feeling and a bit more elegant, but the Columbia is indeed a very nice leather, especially for the price.
    As a grade 1 it certainly compares well with any of the grade 2 leathers and even some of the grade 3s. I will post some new pictures when I get a chance to get the camera out.

sammysmoon Guest

Wink Re: Decisions, decisions..

Thanks Cuse69. I'm really looking forward to seeing those photos. Best of Luck with your new furniture. Enjoy!