Thread: New to Quality Furniture Buying

Smile New to Quality Furniture Buying

This far I have lived as a "drifter", I am finally settled in and would like to unpack my many odds and ends. But I have never really owned a quality piece of furniture. I figure if I am going to get something that isn't walmart or ikea I might as well get something that will last a lifetime.

As such I found this forum. I'm good with a tape measure and math so I can figure out dimensions and doorways, etc.

What I am currently in the market for is two sturdy bookcases. To keep it simple let's say I need to house something like 1.5x full copies of the old Encyclopedia Britannica. I know that I want something classic or traditional, I'll try to include some idea pictures. Dark colored maybe cherry? If the bottom half can be cabinets or drawers that's a plus. Lighting is another plus.

Problem is I have a difficult enough time finding things i like let alone knowing if they are well made. So I'm hoping maybe people here can help me. I'm more than happy to buy through The Keeping Room, but I didn't see an office or bookcase section on the site.

Thanks in advance. Sorry again that I don't know anything about furniture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	370-10-267.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	13672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traditional-walnut-bunching-bookcase-myrtle-burl-walnut-inlays-12805.jpg 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	13673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TA63004.C147_main_1.jpg 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	13674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6305-017_main_1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	13675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6000-167.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	13676
    Last edited by Lucho; 02-05-2021 at 06:31 PM.

Default Re: New to Quality Furniture Buying

Bookcases are not the place to spend a lot of money and be concerned about quality. They have no design form factor per se and are a utility piece. Hooker Furniture has several on their website that will do the job and are not costly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I know what you mean. I used not to want to buy quality furniture because I thought I didn't need it and it was a waste of money. But now, my mindset has changed since I was given a quality sofa a few years ago. And since then. I'm constantly buying myself something new furniture. Finished with the house, I started buying garden furniture. I like the garden furniture much better. As for me, it is much more convenient for eating or to sit at the table. I am happy with the purchase of garden furniture because it is very convenient. I now spend more time outside in the fresh air. I hope that my information was helpful and exciting. Have a good mood, everyone.
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-03-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Thank you for the reply. I spent the last few months looking at Hooker bookcases and had narrowed it down to two that I ventured out to see in person but I wasn't thrilled with them when I saw them.

The only nice furniture I own at this point is my bedroom set,
    Attachment 14033
    AICO Essex Manor. I love it.

So I began looking at other AICO furniture thinking maybe I'd find a bookcase and I did:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2c57640e04e784012c11b446daf2ab4.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	14034
    The Excelsior bookcase. Only problem, it has been discontinued and so far I have had no luck finding anyone who has it.

Any tricks to finding Discontinued furniture?