Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shortages and Delays

Default Re: Shortages and Delays

Six months is the norm now, I am seeing stock roll in that was ordered in November / December with a few January orders arriving as well, depending on the supplier. My oldest orders are out to last October, but not many that aged.

Yes the dealer is the one to get you answers, but they may be the same if you are checking in frequently. If you are to the point of finding it all inexcusable then cancelling your order is about the only recourse. There is no way to speed orders up in this environment.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I am not a big "poster" but wanted to throw it out there...I just wanted to throw it out there for all to consider. We are all waiting on furniture...I am waiting on backspash tile, doors, etc...the whole world is waiting on items that are being manufactured. Duane's re-post of a Washington newspaper article about the state of the global shipping industry and movement of intermodal containers from a few months ago was on point. If you live east of the Mississippi River, consider going to get your furniture when it is ready. We had an H&M order from early December completed in late March. For less than the shipping price, no risk of damage and obtaining the furniture much quicker, I drove to Hickory, NC to get it myself. Johnathan at the shipping doc is a great guy, a real pro. he loaded my order into back of truck and even gave me a "locals" suggestion on a great lunch...relaxing, beautiful drive on a pretty Spring Day. Got another order from March due around Labor Day and I will do the same trip. Also, if you don't want to wait, I would suggest speaking with Duane about his current inventory and what he has coming in...I picked a beautiful chair and ottoman off of his incoming inventory list back in March and drove up to Alexandria to pick it up, meet Duane and see his wonderful store. Obtained pre-increase pricing on the chair and ottoman and got it in a grade 4 leather that is absolutely marvelous. That was a LONG drive but I am willing to take a beating for a day to get something 6 months early at a better price!
    When I have to wait for something now, I think about soldiers overseas sweating their guts out in fatigues, protective gear, confined spaces all the while getting shot at, who wait in line for Mess, the bathroom, etc....and their spouse and kids are eating off of Food Stamps at home because of low pay. ALL of us on this forum are incredibly fortunate to even be able to purchase H&M furniture. Patience and Perspective -- I am as guilty as anyone at times -- we all need to exercise it in times like this!

That was a BRUTAL drive on I-95 for you, 21 + hours round trip on that corridor is pure misery! The traffic is high-speed, congested and the roadway is boring going south. Ugh. Glad to hear you made it back safely!

Now, driving out to Hancock and Moore is considerably more pleasant. That's really pretty country out there at the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. Make it a mini-Vakay with an overnight in Asheville NC which is just 90 minutes away from the factory. I like that part of the world so much that I will take a motorcycle trip down there as often as I can, they get a kick when I show up on my Harley at the factory on the way to the Smoky Mountains.

Yes, I do have some stock on hand as well.
    Duane Collie

It isn't going to help to harass the furniture store. EVERYTHING is back ordered with long waits and they can't change the world for you. Last night my door broke on my slide in kitchen range. Today I decided to do some searches to see what it would take to replace it in case they can't fix it since it is 13 years old. Ordered today a Bosch range has an "estimated" delivery date of September. I hope they can fix it because many of the parts it says are no longer being made. So I could be without an oven for 5 months or more. I can understand the impatience, I am not always the most patient myself, but only time is going to fix this. Many people have been sick and died and many businesses have been shut, either partially or fully. Those that are working at full capacity now can't get the parts and materials they need to fill the orders. Stomping your foot might feel good for a few minutes but it isn't going to change anything.
    Last edited by SueCT; 05-04-2021 at 03:49 PM.

My wife and I ordered a new Thermador oven (Bosch makes them) August 3rd 2020. We didn't get it until January 17th, 2021, five months and two weeks. My wife would call them constantly and I would tell her "Just chill, you will get it eventually, the dealer can't do a thing about it and I doubt can even give you an accurate date of arrival". She wanted to cancel it twice out of aggravation and get a Kitchenaid, which she was told she could get quicker. but I wouldn't agree to that. In the end, it all works out.

Unless you are trying to install an in-ground swimming pool in Northern Virginia. In which case I would say "Just give up". Between the county permits not happening with any kind of urgency and everyone and their uncle wanting a pool - there is no hope for one of those Buy a house that already has one.

Just know if you give up your place in the line, it's a long, long ways to the back of the line.
    Duane Collie

FYI, an order just shipped today to a customer of mine in Texas. Just one # 1036 recliner in Mustang Espresso. Order date was September 9, 2020. So, that was almost 8 months - this is one of my most aged orders. That one was due to either a hide shortage or recliner mechanism shortage. There are lots of shortages.
    Duane Collie

Another note on shipping times and delays. I am getting several customers cancelling orders out of frustration and thinking "it should have been done by now". And that's fine, you can cancel your order and get a refund of deposit money as long as it has not begun production. But here's the thing - no matter where you go - you cannot get it quicker, and there have been significant price increases since you placed your order, I can guarantee that regardless of the maker. The Recliner you ordered in say in early January has gone up about $ 1,000 in price. Cancel and you lose your place in line, and if you come back to buy it again you won't like the new pricing.

The fact of the matter is there ARE supply chain shortages. These are not invented, they are not excuses, they exist for real. When you are getting 40% of the foam you ordered, or 30% of the recliner mechanisms as a furniture manufacturer, you cannot build the pieces in a timely manner. There are no alternate suppliers. My advice is to think long and hard about cancelling an order, don't do it simply out of frustration. Any dealer that tells you they can get something quicker is not being truthful, either. They will take your deposit money and are content to let you yell at them on the phone every couple months, or simply ignore you calls.

Expect these shortages to remain for the rest of 2021. Most companies are averaging 20 weeks on builds (5 months). That's an average, some take longer, a few pieces (very few) may come sooner.
    Duane Collie