Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions to make - advice needed

Default Decisions to make - advice needed

Hey everyone,

The wife and I are in the market for a sofa/chaise sectional. I stumbled upon this forum, was immediately impressed with the amount of info, and decided to contact Duane for some quotes. Originally I was looking into fabric, but with the H&M Your Way promotion on leather going on, I decided to get quotes on that as well. Those prices are sooo tempting, btw. As I said, we were looking for fabric, but the Group 1 leather prices are still doable for us...just outside what we expected we were going to be paying for a sofa...not a stretch, but outside of our expectation. Since we were looking for fabric initially, Duane also provided some pricing on the Taylor King promotional sectional in fabric. I believe it's the Your Way Sectional? Anyway, on to my questions for the forum and to Duane. First...some requirements of what we are looking for...

Must Haves
    -All the hallmarks of a quality built sofa (8-way hand tied, kiln dried hardwood, solid joinery, etc.) and a decent warranty. We are on our third sofa in another room. I'm done buying the crap at the local discount chains.
    -Must be able to navigate down a narrow stairwell (30.5" - narrows to 29.5" in one section due to trim)
    -Going to look nice and still perform well after 10+ years (minor wear acceptable)

Nice to haves
    -Cushions I know will last (that H&M warranty in general...wow!)

H&M Your Way
    Being a finished leather in the Grade 1 handle, I am worried about the topcoat rubbing off and looking like doo doo in under 10 years. I'm pretty sure the sofa we are replacing is finished leather. I couldn't tell you the quality, but I know it's finished because the topcoat is peeling off in small sheets on my headrest, and rubbing off more minorly in other wear areas. Granted, we probably did not keep up with cleaning/conditioning properly (hey, I just got here). My skin/hair are a little on the oily side, as well. I would like to avoid that with these much more expensive pieces. I get that the color/topcoat is sprayed on and eventually time will have its affects on the leather. But are we talking about coming off in sheets like my current sofa, small rubs that can be corrected, what? So does anyone have any feedback on how the H&M finished Grade 1's hold up? Is it truly just a matter of following the advice on the forum with the mild soap/water and conditioning to avoid what happened on my current sofa?

Taylor King
    Unfortunately, the only Taylor King dealers in my area seem to be design studios. I have no problem going to the Toms Price or other higher end retailer/dealers and just test driving some sofas without taking up the time of the salespeople there. Doing the same in one of those designer boutique places (if they even have the frame on the floor) is not the same thing and I would not feel comfortable doing that. I think we can deal with not physically seeing it, but not being able to test the cushions is going to be tough. What if I get the standard cushion, but then decide I needed something firmer? Duane, your post on TK cushions is helpful, thanks. But, as you've said, comfort is subjective. Anybody else have any general feedback on the cushions if they own TK? At this point, if getting a quality piece that will last means not testing it, I might just do it.

Obviously, going to fabric is going to affect longevity, but the lower cost of fabric along with the lower price point of TK would outweigh that, I would hope. How about re-upholstering? If the fabric gets worn, as it eventually will, can we recover it considering the build quality is still excellent and would warrant it? I'm not sure of the cost for that and I know a lot depends on the fabric chosen, but that seems like something to consider, right?

Thanks for any input you all might be able to provide.

Default Re: Decisions to make - advice needed

29.5” is a scary measurement for a sectional. That’s quite narrow and I would be hesitant to recommend anything in particular. For sure you will have to have separate components which adds to the cost. Instead of a 2-piece sectional, you must go 3-piece and have a separate corner. Have a plan if it won’t go down, too. Sometimes buying a floor model locally gets you rights to return it, no such luck if ordering for a distance delivery. Select a unit with short height backs with the cushions off, a front arm that does not go all the way to the front edge of the unit, and one that has removable legs.

Use the proper cleaning kits as outlined here on the forum for longevity of the hides.

If going leather, standard cores are good. If fabric, I would always spec a spring down Marshall core for comfort.

Yes you can reupholster, the frames and suspension are good enough to do so. Look for double rub values 35,000 and higher in any fabric chosen.

Almost everything is made of plywood, not solid wood and old world joinery. Those pieces are still out there, but all will be five figure in cost.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

See, here’s the thing though. My friend and I were able to get the current loveseat down there somehow. The back frame is 35” (non removable back cushions) and it’s 37” from the back to the front armrest (track arm to the floor). We dinged up the wall and scuffed the loveseat on the top of the back frame, yes. But it got down there.

Now, I certainly don’t want that to happen again, but everything I’m seeing has a back frame height less than 35. I figured if we kept it below 29.5”, it would be doable especially if we managed to squeeze 35” down. Here’s some shots to show you what I’m dealing with. There’s a washer and dryer down in the laundry room that’s 27” wide as well. I’m thinking if the sofa sectional is stood on end with the back frame against the right wall to start. Then turn it on the landing and continue on down, no? I can even remove the trim and top banister piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8905AFE-9D42-43C5-AE48-F2C5DF0312C1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	13774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BED6C57C-9153-43E9-A811-468B96A7DB10.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	13775  
    Last edited by Crizzle; 03-25-2021 at 10:40 PM.

You will find most delivery companies will tell you that it won't go. And if you want them to attempt it, they require you to sign a waiver that protects them from claims in damaging either your home or the furniture. The delivery companies standard is 2" clearance in all directions from the piece. Again the question comes up - what is your plan if the ordered pieces don't can't be taken into that area? Ordered pieces are not returnable if they can't make it into the space.

Simplicity Sofas is a niche company that makes sectionals exactly for your situation. They are assembled by the client after pieces are taken into hard-to-deliver areas, the backs are not attached when shipped. While not higher grade upholstery, it does get the job done for difficult delivery situations.

https://www.simplicitysofas.com/cate...iew/sectionals
    Duane Collie

Actually consider Simplicity Sofas for a while. I know Jeff is a member of this forum, and if he's reading, thanks for the blog. It was so informative. It was exactly what I needed in starting my research for what makes a quality sofa. Unfortunately, none of their models fit what we are looking for exactly.

Wouldn't choosing a sofa with a back frame height 2" less than the narrowest point allow for that clearance for delivery companies? I've seen sofas with lower back frame heights (26-27"). I get there are variances in published dimensions, but I think I read somewhere you can specify to the manufacturer a specific dimension be no more than the published dimension and they will make sure to pay attention to that.

At some point wouldn't it make more sense financially and to get what you want to have someone remove and reaply that molding? Or remove it and replace it with something narrower so it is not such a problem in the future? Removing and replacing a molding is usually not super difficult, time consuming or expensive. How much would it gain you? Just a thought.

I could do that myself and get myself an inch or two more clearance, no problem.

I can't make a commitment as to fitment, because that comes back to me in the event of a problem as "You said you thought it would go", or "the delivery guys were unprofessional and banged everything up".

I can tell you that if you were local to my store and wanted a sectional that I had to order, the terms would be "We will attempt to deliver it to the best of our ability. If it will not go, then we will place in your garage or leave upstairs at the last entry point. We don't accept returns on special orders and I would advise you not to order it if you cannot accept those conditions. And, if we are able to get it into the space, we likely will mark either the sofa or walls in the delivery process and we are not liable for those damages, either".

If it was a floor model, then we would attempt delivery and if we could not make it work then you would only be out the delivery fee. My suggestion in your situation is to buy locally for that reason and get something that is returnable.

Most delivery agents (third party) are nowhere near as good as my guys, either. That's also a major factor - how good is the delivery crew showing up? My guys have fifteen years experience each, some delivery companies use people that were in food service or tourism industries just a month ago. You can imagine their expertise on difficult deliveries.

As you can see, I prefer to take a pass on those orders - I've been doing this a long time and can see issues with that kind of access point on a sectional. No one is happy when they don't work out.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-26-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    Duane Collie

Is this a finished basement? I don't remember ever seeing a basement with no 2nd exit directly outside or into a garage. Just curious about the situation that leaves you with just one entry/exit that is so restricted. Could/Should you be trying a different way of getting it down there? A sectional in 3 pieces, even H&M has those in very high quality. A chair or end piece of a 3 piece sectional and a chaise ottoman instead of a one piece ottoman? Pieces of a sectional lock together, so why not consider them? Duane's suggestion of a floor model that can be returned seems like your best bet to me, too.
    Last edited by SueCT; 03-26-2021 at 04:18 PM.

OK...understood Duane. Thank you for your time.

Sue, not sure where you're from, but around here it's rare for basements to have more than one access. You may have a rare walkout sliding door to a sloped yard, but that is not very common. I'm not sure where I came off as insisting on something that won't fit and I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what I want to hear vs. reality. I simply don't know what the "reality" is as it relates to what's available based off the requirements I listed above. I only specified those two models as that is what I received quotes on. I contacted Duane to get a quote on the H&M because I saw the overall dimensions online, went to a dealer and measured it myself, and thought there was a chance. Apparently, there is no chance with that model or the TK. If H&M, TK, BY or any other manufacturer that had similar build quality offered something like that, I would consider it. lol