Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore replacement core policies have changed Jan 2021

Default Hancock & Moore replacement core policies have changed Jan 2021

Hancock and Moore has changed its seat and back core replacement program and will no longer pay the shipping or handling on pieces more than one year old.

Shipping charges have increased significantly and they can no longer absorb them as a "courtesy". They are working on a flat rate shipping charge - will advise once I learn more.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock & Moore replacement core policies have changed Jan 2021

Duane, is the new policy for new customers, or does it apply to existing customers that already bought their furniture years ago? If that latter it is pretty crappy to change it after-the-fact when some people bought it partially because of that policy, but I guess that is business for ya...

I always thought it was a courtesy, not a written guaranty, and as such could be withdrawn at any time. If you receved anything in writing saying this was part of the benefitis of buying this brand, I am betting you were grandfathered in. I just bough my sofa a couple of years ago and I understood at that time that it was an unwritten courtesy. That might not be the case for people who made purchases further back.

This was never a written policy or warranty, it was done as a courtesy. Frankly, I’m surprised it lasted as many years as it did with H&M willing to pay transport costs. When things are totally .“free”, there is a lot of abuse. Some customers of mine were asking and expecting new cores every six months, irregardless that they never break down that quickly and should last 8 to 12 years.

The cores are still provided at no charge to the original owner, you just have to pay the shipping. I find it quite reasonable.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-14-2021 at 08:56 AM.
    Duane Collie

Update to the replacement core policy from H&M. There is now a flat surcharge of $ 100 from H&M for shipping on all cores, per piece. So that's $ 100 for a sofa, $ 100 for a chair, $ 100 x 2 for each sectional that is two pieces. That covers both seat and back cushions per piece. Now, that is H&M's charge if you order direct from them - which you can (you will need your tag id number or receipt from the store to prove you are the original owner).

If you order from a dealer, it may be more because we have to mark up, we pay taxes on every sale. At my store it will be $ 140. per piece.

Frankly, there was too much abuse of the courtesy offer, they were getting a lot of people asking for new cores every 6 months. They do not wear that quickly, you should get ten years or more from a set of cores in the average home. Because of that issue of abuse frequency AND the very real cost of shipping, they had to add that surcharge, and its good for all 48 states. Again, to the original owner only.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane - using the tag id number would mean we have to first register the piece with H&M? I've not done that yet (oops).

I don't believe that is unreasonable. To make my sofa, with 6 cushions, or even just the 3 seat cushions, sit like new for 100.00 is a no brainer as long as the rest of it looks acceptable. And if the rest doesn't look acceptable, why are you ordering new cushions anyway? I still think it is great for anyone who wants a piece that will last them a long time, instead of a disposable sofa or chair. It will not bother me one bit.

You should always register your piece AND save your receipt (stuff it in the bottom of the center seat cushion) 90% of all H&M owners don't register or have their receipt, and that becomes a problem for the cushion core replacement as they will not send them out free of charge unless you have proof of being the original owner. Don't rely on your dealer to have a record of it, they may or may not.
    Duane Collie

Tip:* When replacing cores, place the cushion onto a firm surface like a kitchen counter with a solid backer to push against,* Makes it much easier when installing the core.* The hard way is to wrestle it on the floor or in your lap.
    Duane Collie

If I remember right when we did it, we put the cushion vertically on a dining chair seat and bent it to kind of fold it in half a bit and then pushed / pulled the cover down over the top. It is definitely harder than you expect!