Thread: Started looking for a sofa . . .

Default Started looking for a sofa . . .

My husband and I spent the last few days looking for a sofa. We are looking for a sofa/ottoman and a reclining chair for our family room.

We sat on a lot of sofas and wrote down the names of the one's that we wanted to try a second time. I am short so many were too deep and/or I could not touch the floor with my feet.

Here is what we learned.

From Bradington Young we tried the Timber Sofa, Carrado Sofa, Richardson Sofa, Imagine Motion Sofa and the Dixon Motion Sofa. The Timber felt the most comfortable but it is only 78 inches long and we don’t think it is a solid maple frame.

From Hancock and Moore, we tried recliners, sofas and motion sofas. Like BY, many were too deep and I couldn't touch the floor with my feet.

Both the Ghent Recliner and the Copeland Recliner worked well but we liked the Ghent the best. We tried the 'Your Way sofa', the Redford, and the Moselle Sofa. The Moselle Sofa was the best but it was the longest at 91 inches followed by the Redford but the curved shape was not liked by my husband. The 'Your Way' could work if I adjusted the back cushion.
    I really wanted to try the Ricki sofa because of the preferred length (84.5 inches) and it is mentioned a lot on the forum but it wasn’t available. The Your Way Sofa motion was nice once reclined but I could not put my feet on the floor in the sitting position.

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with the B&Y Timber? Is it a plywood frame?
    2. Does anyone have experience with the Moselle Sofa?
    3. Should I consider another model that sits like the Moselle but is shorter?
    4. Should I still consider the Ricki based upon my liking the Moselle or would it be too deep?
    5. Since we really like the Ghent recliner, should we consider the Ghent recliner sofa and another stationary chair?

We greatly appreciate your help and all suggestion.

Default Re: Started looking for a sofa . . .

All Bradington-Young is plywood and they do not make frames in-house (they are subcontracted) so no custom work is available.

All Hancock and Moore Your Way and Motion furniture are plywood, however its a higher grade of plywood than B-Y . Read into this thread to see a photo essay of how they build. http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...re-s-Factories

You mention you are short, but don't really say how tall you actually are so its hard for me to make a recommendation without knowing that. H&M makes a recliner for ladies under 5 4" called the Script Recliner. I worked for years to get them to make it and of course the dimensions are wrong on the website, but this will fit most shorter womento about 5' 0" and I have one on display at my store. http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Products/Detail?SKU=7170

The Ricki sofa is full size (I have a floor model), as is the Moselle you ask about, One of the standard sofas that is smaller scale is the 9840 City Sofa, and also several of the Urban Logic groups. Unfortunately the dimensions are not always correct on the H&M website and that's a battle I have been fighting for years. All the sofas that are not motion, or Your Way, and solid maple or ash, however that's not really critical in and of itself, its how its put together. I get zero - and do mean zero - frame and suspension failures on both H&M and B-Y.

Now here's something to think about - you can customize Hancock and Moore to fit you on the non-motion pieces. Say for example you really like the Moselle, you can have it made shorter to suit you and also change the seat height and / or seat depth. There are custom charges that ae about 20% for any single mod on a straight frame sofa (so 20% to cut length, another 20% to make it more shallow) but you can get exactly what you want made. Don'[t customize all the pieces, just the one you use the most. For example, if you are say 5' 3" and wanted the sofa to fit you, I would say you take the average 20" seat height and make it 18", and the 20.5" average seat depth and make it 19" Women's legs below the knee are shorter than men's so you have to get that seat height down if you want your feet on the floor, and decrease the depth if you want to have no gaps to the back cushions.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Started looking for a sofa . . .

Thank you so much for your reply. I apologize for not including my height. I am 5’4 inches.
    The Moselle sofa was very comfortable and was a good fit. It provided excellent support and my feet were able to touch the floor. The only drawback was the length. If I made that selection, I would need to purchase new end tables which is certainly an option.
    The Ricki is a better length but I can’t sit on one. Do you think the Ricki sits the same as the Moselle? Do you have a preference between the two?
    Good to know about the B&y frames as we did like the timber as that to provided good back support and I could put my feet on the ground.