Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a good contemporary recliner out there that will last?

Default Re: Is there a good contemporary recliner out there that will last?

Here is what they say about labor: Reasonable and customary labor charges for a period of one year from the original date of sale for the purpose of repair or replacing warranty parts are covered. Warranty service should be performed by the store where you purchased this furniture

I need to contact customer service where I bought the furniture to double check on the warranty. This is the second recliner where the frame has broken. The first one took about 17 years before it started to get bad. This second one has only been about three years and starting to break. I weigh around 260 right now, but this recliner is supposed to handle at least 400 pounds.

That's a labor charge for parts. Here's your frame warranty off their website.

"Cushions, wooden frame components and springs are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for FIVE (5) YEARS from the date of sale."

It says nothing about a labor charge associated with that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I reached out to the chain where I bought the recliner and they verified the labor warranty is one year. That is what I thought from the Southern Motion website. The parts for the frame are covered for five years.

They can't do the repair in my home and it would have to go to their shop. The recliner is extremely heavy and does not have a removeable back. I would have to pay for pick up and delivery of the chair plus the labor to take it apart and fix it. It doesn't seem worth it to me. The frame isn't broken too bad yet and I think it will last at least another year. Right now would be be a bad time to be buying furniture with the lack of stock and long lead times.

If that's true, then the warranty is worthless. Of the companies I represent - all of them - if you get the piece back to the factory, they take care of it. I would imagine Southern Motion is likewise, you should contact them direct for clarification. Good luck
    Duane Collie

I suppose I could contact Southern Motion, but it would cost a ton of money to ship this recliner to/from their factory. It doesn't make a lot of sense to invest tons of money in a $1,400 recliner.

The companies you deal with are not mass market manufacturers like Southern Motion. I would have preferred to buy a recliner from someone like Hancock and Moore, but they don't make anything in a style I like.
    Last edited by reader2580; 07-07-2021 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Forgot a period at end of sentence.

La-Z-Boy is having a sale. Just sayin, lol. If you are only going to have it for 3 years anyway, you probably don't need one of their higher priced fabrics and if you aren't too picky about fabric, at least you only have to pay 629.00 instead of 1400. https://www.la-z-boy.com/p/recliners...ner/_/R-010766 Because convincing a better furniture maker to start making or carrying this style seems pretty unlikely. I would venture a guess that what you think of H&Ms styles is a very common opinion of what you like. To be honest, those kinds of chairs have kind of been known for some time as being ugly but comfortable. Most people spending 5000.00 for a chair don't want it to look like a chair for 699.00 and they are paying in part to get something comfortable that does not look like that. I think of them as "puffy" recliners. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but finding what you want once styles move on can be pretty tough. Like Duane said, these styles reached maximum popularity over 20 years ago. Have you thought of looking for a vintage chair in really good shape? Something manufactured back before everything started being made of cardboard and OSB in China might be closer to what you really want.

These recliners with their supposedly dated designs still seem to be quite popular. Local furniture stores all have rooms with rows of these style recliners for sale. Heck, even a home improvement chain named Menards that is popular here carries a Chinese recliner or two in this style.

There is a local furniture store with two locations that carries Hancock and Moore. I went there in 2018 when shopping for a recliner and spent a fair bit of time sitting in the various recliners on display.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    "I have to try one out" is a common remark I hear, however there are 1,300 frames from just Hancock and Moore alone, there is no way anyone is going to have them all, not even close. I'm one of the largest stocking dealers on the East Coast and I can only show fifty to sixty, which is a long ways from what they offer. Sometimes you can ask a dealer if they will bring one in the leather you want to buy and agree there is a 50/50 chance you will buy it. I do that for some of my clients if I can use the piece for floor stock should they take a pass.
    Almost nobody buys a car without a test drive first. I find it hard to imagine buying a piece of furniture that will easily cost $6,000 with tax and delivery charge without being able to sit in it first.

I have been looking at the Hancock & Moore website some more and have found at least two recliners I might like. The NC7003 or the 7116-S. I don't necessarily want the big overstuffed look. I don't want nails or the curved "wing" sides. I know nails can be removed from an order, but if it has nails in the standard design then it probably isn't a design I would like.

If you are paying $ 6K for a Hancock and Moore NC7003 you might be shopping at the wrong store. That is in the Town and Country Program in leathers Kismet Camel and Kismet Pewter and there is a store in Virginia you can order from that will ship that to you for under $ 2,500 in those two leathers.

For those that simply MUST try out a piece before they buy, what we do is find out when one is coming off the production line at Hancock and Moore in Hickory NC, and they will hold it a few days. Then you make a trip there, get a private VIP Tour of the factory and can try it out. I've done that for at least a hundred customers over the years and everyone who has done it says it was worth the trip.
    Duane Collie

I was only able to find one price online for each of those recliners and it was something around $4,500 for either one. I was figuring a better grade of leather plus sales tax and delivery would be upwards of $6,000. Do I really want to pay $6,000 for a recliner, not really. I could make it happen though. I would rather be under $4,000. I know I could get a quote from the Keeping Room too.