Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a good contemporary recliner out there that will last?

Default Re: Is there a good contemporary recliner out there that will last?

----->reading in between the lines<----------------------- reader2580

You should not let anyone, here or anywhere else, tell you what you should like. Those chairs still have a following because, no doubt about it, being surrounded by soft pillowing and foam is comfortable. Even more so the younger you are I think. It seems to appeal more to males than females, also. But as time goes on, and I don't mean 80 years old here, I mean like 40s, more support for your back can become more important, and a chair you sink deeply into can be more difficult to get out of, lol. So comfort can mean different things to different people. As a teenager a beanbag chair was great. Not so much now. I don't know how tall you are, but Duane has mentioned that since I am not very tall, many H&M recliners would not fit me well so while a 6 foot tall man might find a particular chair comfortable, lt probably isn't the best option for me. So since you seem to be having such a hard time finding anything comfortable in a good quality recliner, maybe talk to Duane more about your specifics, like your height. I certainly wouldn't be pressured into spending 6000.00 for a recliner that you really don't like or want. If it is a traditional La-Z-Boy you want and you will be disappointed with most anything else, then that is what you should get. No matter what anyone here thinks. You sounded pretty mad about your current recliner, can you imagine if did spend that money and still weren't happy? Maybe you just are not ready for that kind of furniture, traditional or modern. If you really are considering it, a trip to H&M would probably be a good idea since you aren't all that sold on those chairs to start with. It seems like the Ghent recliners get ordered by people here occasionally and so it probably wouldn't be that long a wait to see one going through H&M. Not sure, but I would not be surprised if Duane didn't have one in his store occasionally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_g View Post
    ----->reading in between the lines<----------------------- reader2580
    It looks like I am not going to get any help here. I think my next step is going to be to hop on a plane to Arlington, VA to visit The Keeping Room in person.

I was hoping my recliner would last another year to allow furniture manufacturers to catch up with production, but my recliner is getting worse by the day. I'm not mad about the Southern Motion recliner. It is what is is. I made a mistake. I should have tried harder to find something that would work for me from Hancock and Moore or some other high end manufacturer the last time. I know that if I order something in August I won't probably get it until probably February or March next year.

I would not want you to fly to my store from Minnesota just to see my recliner selection, its not worth the trip. I have probably fifteen on the floor, half of which are Hancock and Moore. But if you wanted to see Washington DC sights, then I'm an easy side trip from downtown very close to historic Mt Vernon.

The best place to see a wide variety of H&M recliners is to fly into Charlotte NC and then drive north to the motion plant in Taylorsville NC. At any given day they will have about sixty staging to get packed up and shipped. Plus you would get a private tour of how they build them. If you are going to invest in a plane trip, that would be my suggestion. I can set that visit up for you as well, Monday through Thursdays.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

You might want to look at Bradington Young, also. I am pretty sure Duane has said the build quality is the same as H&M, it is just the fine finish details that are better on H&M and BY is not as expensive. But the frame should last just as long for less money if they have anything you like. https://www.bradington-young.com/liv...type=reclining