Thread: Questions on H&M Nifon Leather

Default Questions on H&M Nifon Leather

Hi All,

Hoping Duane or someone else may have some thoughts on this. My wife met with a design consultant at a local furniture store for some new H&M pieces (Chester sofa and two Khalil chairs).

For the sofa, they selected Nifon. I haven't been able to find anything on Nifon leather on this forum, however I have a concern.

Based on the feel of the leather, I worry that it seems highly susceptible to staining. I understand unprotected leather is inherently more prone to this. We have Tiburon on some other pieces and while it's not stain proof, it feels (and in practice seems to be) protected by the wax - whereas Nifon seems matte/dry (i.e., absorbent) and I worry that body oils and greasy hands (kids) will be more prone to be absorbed more readily (than something like Tiburon).

For context - we have 3 kids. They are generally good with furniture, but are never going to be "gentle" with it. Tiburon has held up well so far.

Question 1 - Is my assessment of Nifon correct? Do I need to be more concerned with staining with a leather like Nifon than I do with something like Tiburon?
    Question 2 - I notice in H&Ms description of Nifon that it is "top grain." Is there are material durability difference between this and "full top grain like Tiburon?"

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Jon

Default Re: Questions on H&M Nifon Leather

Take a look at the first part of this post about stains:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-cannot-expect

On the "top grain" question, all of the leathers are "top grain", the alternative is the plastic stuff that is just leather scraps melted together (aka bonded leather). If I remember right "full top grain" just refers to leather that is unprotected (aka dyed, not painted).

EDIT: This is another good thread for you to review. It directly addresses the protected vs unprotected and stains:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ
    Last edited by Danw99; 07-08-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: Questions on H&M Nifon Leather

I could be wrong but it looks a little like a suede finish on the H&M website photo. It also says that it has been lightly brushed, with some of the features of a nubuck, which also makes think a little suede like. So I am with the OP in questioning how it will behave. It also says it is waxed, though, which might offer a little bit of protection. I will be interested to hear what Duane thinks of it.