Thread: Hancock & Moore equivalent?

Default Hancock & Moore equivalent?

I happened to be driving by a local store during their yearly "Tent Sale" and it was the end of the day so I just stopped in to see what was left. I ended up finding two Smith Brothers leather recliners that fit me pretty well. They are not the colors I would prefer, and seemed to be protected leathers, also not my first choice in a recliner. I have no idea what that brand uses for mechanisms. I consider them a reasonably good brand but not on the level of H&M. Most H&M recliners are likely too large for me and the dimensions here for the script recliner are a bit small. Interestingly, the dimensions given on the H&M website for the script would be much better but they give a seat width of 22.5" where Duane listed it as 19.5". 3 additional inches in seat width is a big difference. Considering I can't try it out first, I end up eliminating it as a choice, because the 19.5 inch would be too small. Then I found the "Jody" 7183-PR on H&M's site and it seems to be quite similar to one of the Smith Brothers ones I was looking at (the other SB one is a discontinued frame with Bustle back and curved front in the same size). It doesn't look like any "Jody" have gone through your store because I couldn't find any reference to it on the site and I know you photograph anything you get. I am linking the SB one below with the dimensions they give. I prefer the slightly higher seat of the Jody, which makes it easier to get out of as well, compared to the Script measurements given by you. But 21" seat width is really my minimum to be comfortable and the 22" would be even nicer. Duane, do you have a Script you could measure to see which is correct? Or do you think they have changed it a bit from the original? The dimensions on the website are totally different than what you originally posted here. I know there can be a little variability, but 3 inches or more? I just want to make sure the dimensions are relatively accurate on the Jody as well. I am not considering ordering a recliner until at least fall, so I have some time. Also, I can ask for a quote once I have more of an idea of what I would like, but in general are the smaller recliners any less expensive than the larger ones? I am sure the same amount of labor goes into them, but they should use at least a little bit less leather. Although, possibly not enough to make much difference in price. Just wondering.

If anyone out there has a Jody recliner, please share.

Thanks!

Link to the H&M Jody:
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...il?SKU=7183-PR

The Smith Brothers recliners at the Tent Sale:

The dimensions given on the Smith Brothers website for the same recliner (the 416 leather version is the one I looked at)
    https://smithbrothersfurniture.com/d...gPages/419.pdf

Default Re: Hancock & Moore equivalent?

My measurements on the Script are correct, it's a recliner built for women, and fits those 5' 5" to 4' 11" very well. I have been after H&M to correct their website dimensions for years on this piece, they just don't seem to ever get around to it. I do have one on the floor, too.

You can open the mechs and see the maker of them on a decal applied to the metal. I have photos of what they look like for Leggett and Platt as well as UltraMek (the two best) here in the forum if you do a search for them.

Smaller recliners are not less expensive, they all run about the same price. For better pricing, stay in the Town and Country groups, in the married covers that can equate to about $ 1K less in price on a recliner from H&M.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Yes, I have a price from you for a larger recliner in a grade 4 leather, so I guess it would be the same for the smaller ones, then. The script is too small for what I want, then. Height is NOT the only body dimension that matters. I care less about my feet touching the ground than sitting comfortably in the seat when I am reclining in a recliner. Have you ever seen the Jody? Now I don't trust those dimensions, either. I NEED to know what the dimensions are with reasonable tolerances, say 1/2 inch, for a recliner I order sight unseen. Getting a 4-5000.00 recliner in a nice leather that I feel squished in would be disappointment on a level I don't want to feel, lol. Maybe there is someone out there who has a Jody recliner that can check it for me. It seems like a ridiculous shame that I would be forced to go with another brand to make sure I got a chair that fit me, solely because of their inaccurate website dimensions.

The "Jody" is a new item and will be hard to find because it was a "Soft" introduction with no Market Specials last Fall when Market was closed down. There was no incentive (and still is not) for dealers to pay full price to floor one. And with 6 month production times its unlikely there are many in circulation.

When you have 1,400 frames, there are bound to be some measurement errors, that doesn't mean the whole line is compromised in that regard. 99.5% are accurate in the specs.
    Duane Collie

Well, that is good to know, because I do prefer H&M. I truly believe they make a superior product, which is why I chose them for my sofa after looking at Smith Brothers. I don't think SB is junk by any means, but H&M in my book has no equal unless it is a sister brand that I haven't look at. Maybe I will be the first then, to order one, lol. It sounds like a nice medium between the Script and the Sadler I was considering that you thought would be too large for my 5'4" height.

Yes, you would get "lost" in a 1044 Sadler, that's a big recliner.
    Duane Collie