Thread: Changes at Hancock and Moore

Default Changes at Hancock and Moore

Just like they don't build cars the way they did 40 years ago and have become more automated in production, so has Hancock and Moore. With the addition of a second costly CNC cutting machine and a computerized leather cutter for finished and semi-aniline hides (as I documented on my last trip to the factory) they are relying less on hand labor and moving to the precision accuracy these computer-controlled machines provide. Frames will be moving away from solid hardwood maple and ash to 21 mm Birch plywood, as that is what the CNC units cut. This 21mm size is thicker than the industry standard of 17 to 18mm plywood and is most definitely NOT like the plywood you see at Home Depot. Accuracy improves on the cuts, it doesn't require as much assembly, and there is no compromises in frame integrity or joinery. In fact, some areas become stronger as there is no grain shear fracture possibility as there is with solid wood parts. All Motion furniture, all Your Way and all Urban Logic is already being made on the CNC machines, and other styles will mitigate to those machines over time, as well.

The leather cutter/marker is so much more accurate then hand-cutting, the sewers at the factory love it, because it gives them precision pieces of leather to join on their machines with ridiculously close tolerances. Result? Better seam lines, welt trims, less "wave" in the sewing.

Some will bemoan the fact that "It ain't made like it used to be", but the truth is - this is actually superior to the old ways and puts out a higher quality, more consistent product. Plus, with labor issues rampant in the Carolinas, it requires fewer highly trained workers to build and as such, helps control costs. Hopefully we will see a slow down in 2021's frequent price increases (fingers crossed).

Wait times for new pieces are still long and look like this will be the case well into next year at not only Hancock and Moore, but all the other makers as well. Partially supply chain, partially labor shortages.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Changes at Hancock and Moore

I can't believe it will be as strong and I think of family members and people here who have come looking for furniture that hold up to people of size. I can see trying to "sugar coat" it because you can't change it, but these changes on top of paying so much more for the product is going to be tough to swallow. I sure hope they won't give up the nice finished wood they have on some of their pieces. Are wood arms going to plywood with a laminated edge or will they at least keep the nice hardwood features on some of the items?

After almost 15,000 posts to this forum, I think it's pretty evident that I do not engage in "Sugar Coating" and never will. I simply give you the facts and you can use that information as you like to make buying decisions. What I have always done - and will continue to do - is provide industry-relative news and advice free of charge that is accurate to the best of my ability.

I've been 35 years in this business - a long time - and you know how many frame failures I have seen in both plywood and solid wood builds? Zero. Not a one. In those 35 years I have been involved in three frame replacements, all three were heavily damaged in shipping, not from use. Perceptions are hard to change though, I get that. We need to look no further than the number of Americans still unvaccinated against covid and no matter how much scientific data is presented, there will always be a group that acts on those perceptions, it's just human nature.

Exposed woods that are design features and especially those done in Premium finishes are made of solids. Those will not be going to veneers.
    Duane Collie

Sorry, should not have accused you of "sugar coating" it. But I am glad to hear that exposed woods will not be veneers.

This is what I learned from you: "This is the H&M 5962 Baron Wing Chair done in Portfolio Claret, a GR 2 leather, with Mahogany Distress finish and "A" nail trim, with standard cushion cores. To start with, the first thing that jumps right out is the wood used in this piece. Today, the vast majority of furniture, some 90%, is made of plywood, which is often called 'engineered hardwoods' in sales literature or 'laminated hardwoods'. This is the real deal here - SOLID maple. Not made of plys and formaldehyde glues, this is old school solid wood. Yes, its more expensive and its also rock solid, there is no flex in the frame. A solid chair that doesn't flex means no deterioration from use, resulting in a piece that lasts for generations. This is also one of the reasons a Hancock and Moore is more expensive. Quality materials are not inexpensive."

I am not trying to throw your words back at you. This is exactly what my thinking was when buying H&M non motion furniture. It might be that going to more plywood will be just as strong, I don't know. But I do think they are losing one of the things that set them apart. Since the only items I am still hoping to aquire some time are a recliner, which would be motion furniture that already has more plywood, and an an ottoman where the exposed wood would still be solid wood, not veneers. So I guess I should not concern myself with it. But I am sorry that they will be losing this part of what set them apart. As long as the finish details remain the same many customers, maybe even most, will not not be aware of the change at all.
    Last edited by SueCT; 09-19-2021 at 07:49 PM.

A few have asked about glues in the plywoods H&M complies with the most stringent outlined in TSCA Title VI EPA and California Resources Board requirements, you can read about it here:

https://www.epa.gov/formaldehyde/for...-wood-products

All plywoods are not the same! Don't think its like the Home Depot plywood you see that is used for boarding up windows that looks like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gettyimages-1164745245-2048x2048.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	14069

H&M Birch Plywood - furniture grade:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ply.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	14067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plu2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	14068
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-22-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    Duane Collie

6. 11-16-2021