Thread: Ideas for leather sectionals with a *short* L

Default Ideas for leather sectionals with a *short* L

Apologies for the lack of diagram, but we have a very specific space to fill and are looking for an "L" shaped sectional where the short side of the L is approx 75." We don't want the short portion of the L to just be a chaise - ideally it would be a fully formed couch seat with an armrest that matches the other side of couch. We are also open to the "bolster" option, where there is a corner/back for a portion of the short side and then an open area accessible from both sides.

This isn't AT ALL the style we want, but this is what I mean by a "short L" - probably we'd want a 4 seater vs 3 seater though:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23030d30f3cdceb22a623d8fb464af17.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	14262

Likewise, this isn't the style we want, but this is what I mean by "bolster":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L-Shaped-Or-Chaise-Sectional.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	14261

We want high quality leather and traditional styling - many of Hancock and Moore options fit the bill stylewise. Studs, rolled arms, etc. is what we want.

I have poured over the online catalogues of Hancock and Moore, Bradington Young, American Leather, etc. etc. and am struggling to find a way to make the type of sectional we want. Does anyone have any ideas or leads? We are located in Toronto, Ontario, and happy to go talk to a local dealer, but the local options seem pretty...intimidating...and I'd like to go in with a bit of an idea/plan.

Default Re: Ideas for leather sectionals with a *short* L

You can build that piece in the Hancock and Moore Your Way pieces, see the diagram at this link:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/YourWay?CollectionNo=YW

You would use a Y11 Chair : 32"
    The Corner would be a Y14 which is 40.5"
    And you can finish on the other side with a loveseat or sofa segment of your choice

That would give you a short sided length of appx 72.5" in a standard depth, appx 75" in the Deeper Depth series, which is right on target.

Keep in mind these measurements are with the widest of the arms in the Your Way series, if you go with a slim track arm instead or say a roll arm, the measurements will decrease about 2.5"

One tip is to print out that layout sheet above (make yourself a couple copies) cut out the piece with scissors, and lay them out on a blank sheet of paper. Those are to scale and I do this all the time for customers as it allows you to position the pieces on graph paper scaled to the room if you are inclined to draw it all out.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! I had looked at all those little diagrams but somehow my eyes glazed right over what I needed. Problem solved. Now just the other 10,000 decisions needed to buy a $$$ (for us) sofa, haha. This seems like a very emotional purchase, as I grew up with a Hancock & Moore sofa and have many great memories of it over the decades as a kid, returning on holidays, etc. etc. Pillow-y, dark blue, studs, those bun feet...

Annnnnywyays. If you don't mind me asking - would you recommend the Y11 Chair + the Y14 Corner + the loveseat or sofa, or would you recommend the Y11 Chair + Y34 Sofa/equivalent loveseat that has the corner built in? Egress is a 34" front door, no other limits, and while I have declared I'm never moving again, I want to future proof this as much as possible. We definitively do not live in an area with giant houses and square footage. I guess that probably means smaller pieces unless that substantially detracts from stability/comfort/etc?

And thanks for the tip re: printing and moving stuff about. We've been living with our couch + haphazard chairs blocking the same space our ideal sectional would take up to make sure we are happy with the aisles, flow, etc.

You may want to take note that Hancock and Moore is increasing prices 10% on all items effective January 10th, that means all orders have to be in hand in most stores by Saturday Jan 8th to get in under that increase. Just an FYI

With a 34" doorway you can do the built-in corner and it will cost less than separate components by about $ 1,300 or so if you have a straight shot into the room and no oddball corners to negotiate or narrow walkways.. It's really hard to say, I consider separates to be something of an insurance policy, if you ever want to move to another house or say a basement rec room, you can break the piece down and get into spaces the built-in corner unit can make. You have to make that call and if it's worth the extra cost to have that flexibility. To me, it's like buying an extended warranty on your new dishwasher, if you don't buy it - it will break a month after the warranty expires, if you DO buy it, then the thing never breaks! They will all sit the same, either way.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.