Thread: Manual Reclining Loveseat

Default Manual Reclining Loveseat

I am looking for a really good quality manual reclining loveseat with rolled arms that will last a long time and the cushions won't sag. I have a Lane manual reclining loveseat that has held up very well for over 20yrs and only has a bit of wear at the seams and one of the arms is pushed out from our large Golden laying on it. Lane along with Lazy-boy, Ashley furniture and a few others that used to be good are now considered lower end. I am looking for one that looks like this one, but do not want leather and would like to be able to pick the upholstery for it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sir Rawlinson reclining loveseat.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	14278

If anyone has one or knows of one that is very good quality with cushions that won't sag and I can pick the upholstery, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Manual Reclining Loveseat

Manual recliners in that format are largely gone, they are all power now, either plug in or battery. And that's a good thing, because manual mechanisms break from being kicked too hard by the users, motors lift and close them very gently. I have sold thousands of recliners in 35 years, I have NEVER replaced the mechanism in a power recliner - not once. We order at least two mechs per month now for manual units as replacements (rivet shear is usually the issue). The perception is that if its power - it will be troublesome. The opposite is true, actually. Motorized units last longer.

Any issues with power recliners that we come across are due to two things 1) failure to put an inexpensive surge protector on the outlet ( $ 9 at Wal Mart) for plug in models 2) Customers spilling liquids such as coffee or soda into the activation switch, requiring replacement of the switch.

Suspension is incorporated into the recliner mechanisms, they will never sag. Your cushion cores will loose resiliency over time and with use, but those are replaceable. Frames that are well made will not loosen. Look at Taylor King or Hancock and Moore for high quality motion units in fabric.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

As I stated in my post, we have a Lane manual recliner that has had no problems at all other than the fabric is worn a bit at the seams and our large dog kept laying on the one arm causing it to become pushed out and it is over 20yrs old. The side with the pushed out arm still works to recline if we push the arm in and hold it in to do the lever. I would look at Lane recliners again, but it seems Lane has gone down hill and is now a lower end brand. There must be a good brand that makes manual reclining loveseats. We are not rough on our furniture and do not kick it, so I am not worried about it breaking from being kicked. Also, the cushions are as firm as they were 20yrs ago. They have not sagged or lost resiliency. Also, I do not want one with power since we do not have anywhere to plug it in. We prefer manual.

Good luck in your search, none of my suppliers make manual ones in loveseats or sofas any longer. Power units are all available battery powered when no outlets are nearby.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-11-2022 at 05:05 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

If you don't find what you are looking for you might want to talk to an electrician. An outlet can often, although not always be added fairly inexpensively, depending on rates in your local area. For some reason I find people often overlook that option.