Thread: Duane, I remember you said you sent some H&M to white house

temart Guest

Default Duane, I remember you said you sent some H&M to white house

do you remember what models of sofas/chairs you sent (or is it confidential )?
    Did they ever comment on these pieces?

Default Re: Duane, I remember you said you sent some H&M to white house

It's not at all confidential, but I just can't advertise it as that would be in poor taste and they prefer it not be used as a sales tool. Tends not to get you invited back!

But since you asked....this was the furniture group (I also did a number of custom art pieces involving hi-res reproductions on canvas of rare artwork). All of the furniture is Hancock and Moore. Most of Congress, the Supreme Court, and White House have H&M leather pieces - it holds up the best over time and gives the best performance/dollar value. They shopped this order around town, and I was the low bid for the job. It also helps to be small. The smaller your business, the more likely you are to get the nod all else being equal.

July 2007 installation:

(16) # 1780 Justice Chairs in Vintage Tobacco
    (24) # 4163 Tufted Slipper Chairs in Vintage Blackberry
    (18) # 1773 Treaty Chairs in Federal Bourdeax
    (3) # 057 Rogers Benches in Federal Bark
    (1) # 024 Plantation Ottoman in Federal Bark
    (2) # 1317 Rouleau Chairs in Federal Bark
    (2) # 1319 Rouleau Sofas in Federal Bark

66 pieces total. All in price class 1 leathers (they would not buy in a higher class, so the GAO is to be commended with staying with base grade leathers in the interest of minimizing costs on the taxpayers dime). If you ever visit my store in person, I have the original purchase order laminated and hung on the wall near the sales counter.

They told me all arrived on-time, undamaged, and met or exceeded their expectations. That's about the most you get from The White House in compliments.

There was a serious amount of paperwork to do to get this order processed. I will say it was bordeline overwhelming - but The White House Staff and GAO were very helpful and gracious in assisting me in filling out all the forms and documentation to get set up as a vendor to the Federal Government.

Kudos also to H&M. They had precious little time to get this order done by the required installation date and they pulled out all the stops to get it there on time, and in perfect condition. My trucking line picked it up at 9 am. and had it delivered by 4 p.m. to the secure White House warehouse - they drove it straight through. We were one day ahead of the required delivery date as I recall. They use their own people to move it to The White House grounds themselves, and I'm guessing all the pieces has to be scanned for electronic bugs and explosives. I never set foot anywhere near The White House, the GAO buyers would come to my store or call on the phone.

I also did much of the furniture for the movie "The Patriot" starring Mel Gibson (2000). The White House was much easier to work with than Sony Studios on the orders.

My good friend, Steve Nash of Nash Floors in Rockville, MD had the contract at the same time to do the The White House floors. He got a big kick out of seeing his company trucks at the front door to the place.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

temart Guest

I have to say I am really impressed with their choices, especially the chairs. All beautiful pieces. But I'm also surprised that they chose only class 1 leathers. I believe most taxpayers won't mind spending a little more for better leather for the white house.

They were adamant about staying in the entry grade leather. And it will perform just fine over the years as well. More expensive leather does not get one a longer life span, it just looks and feels nicer. The real key to longevity in any leather - inexpensive or the most costly - is to keep it clean.

Price was always a factor in every item ordered for The White House. They were far more price conscious than most of us would be if ordering for our own homes. The artwork, likewise. I had a new appreciation for the GAO and our government bureaucracy after this experience. We all hear about the $ 800 toilet seats and $ 400 for a pair of pliers stories.....but in my dealings on this order (and also one for the Treasury Department which was a few months later) the focus was to get maximum benefit for the taxpayer dollar.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.