Thread: Quinn204

quinn204 Guest

Default Quinn204

We are looking to buy Hancock and Moore sofa/loveseat combo. We shopped at Light-Parker in PA yesterday and were quoted $4446 for a Class II 9503 Kodiak sofa/$3984 for the #9502 loveseat. Class III prices were $4880/$4437 respectively. Sales tax (6% in PA) not included. Have no idea if these prices are right or if there is a better alternative for this purchase. Can you help us out?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn204 View Post
    We are looking to buy Hancock and Moore sofa/loveseat combo. We shopped at Light-Parker in PA yesterday and were quoted $4446 for a Class II 9503 Kodiak sofa/$3984 for the #9502 loveseat. Class III prices were $4880/$4437 respectively. Sales tax (6% in PA) not included. Have no idea if these prices are right or if there is a better alternative for this purchase. Can you help us out?
    Those prices are not unreasonable, about mainstream for many stores. Every dealer sets their own prices, of course. If you want to mail/internet order, here's the prices I do for forum members on 'off-the handle' leathers that you can use as a guideline or order from my store if you prefer:

# 9503 Kodiak Sofa
    Grade 2: $ 3,703, Grade 3: $ 4,067

# 9502 Kodiak Loveseat
    Grade 2: $ 3,318, Grade 3: $ 3,696

Home Delivery Service would charge appx. $ 330 for shipping and in-home installation on the pair. PA sales tax not collected.

Kodiak is a good series. Very comfortable with good cushion support. What leathers are you thinking about using?

The Kodiak series is also part of the Town and Country promotion (to add to the pricing confusion!). If you order in Document Saddle the price goes even lower to:

Sofa or Loveseat (same price in Document Saddle): $ 2,659

Ordered in any other Document color other than Saddle:

Sofa: $ 3,079
    Loveseat: $ 2,869

Document is a Grade 2, "Finished" leather that has high/low tones on it. Its very supple and a best seller for H&M. It is a leather sourced in China with a Serviceability rating of 2, which means its 'wipe and go' and pretty much impervious to the majority of spills and stains.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

quinn204 Guest

Default quinn204

Thank you for the quick response. According to my quick calculations, since incidentally I was looking at Document Saddle, I would save $3287 by ordering through you. I have never ordered furniture over the internet before. Am I correct in assuming that its the actual store is located in Va? Would I have to come there (or would that be preferable?) we're on the Philly Mainline about three hours from D.C. Very tempting!

Quote Originally Posted by quinn204 View Post
    Thank you for the quick response. According to my quick calculations, since incidentally I was looking at Document Saddle, I would save $3287 by ordering through you. I have never ordered furniture over the internet before. Am I correct in assuming that its the actual store is located in Va? Would I have to come there (or would that be preferable?) we're on the Philly Mainline about three hours from D.C. Very tempting!
    Yikes! Then you were looking at the Town and Country promo items on their floor in Document Saddle. In that case, that store in considerably higher than normal for that series.

Yes, I have a real store. www.keepingroom.com near historic Mt. Vernon, VA. Been there since 1984. Mail order is pretty easy, can do it all in a 3 minute phone call. I take 20 % deposit to order, and put the balance on your credit card when H&M notifies me that its been handed off to the shipper (in this case Home Delivery Service). Once HDS has it, it will be 2 to 3 weeks to get it to you (sometimes less). They call and tell you the exact amount of the freight and you have to have a cashiers check or money order ready at delivery for the freight. Then when they show up you show them where you want it placed and that is usually all there is to it. In the advent of damages (rare) its best to call me while the delivery crew is still there. Most the time, touchups can be done on site, but if the damages is serious then it needs to be refused.

Some caveats when mail ordering furniture:

1) Be sure it will fit in through your doorways. Its a disaster when it won't. In other words don't order something like a Kodiak sofa when you only have a 30" wide door for it to get through. If it won't fit, it goes in your garage until you get a carpenter to come and install a wider door.

2) Check out your mail order merchant and make sure they are solvent. Many furniture stores are going under these days, and will unethically take your order when they know full well the manufacturer will not accept the order because they are past due on prior orders. A quick call to the manufacturers customer service center is a good idea and simply ask if the dealer is on a 'no ship' status. This protects you.

3) You have to accomodate the delivery company to get your order promptly. If they call you and you absolutely cannot make their delivery timeframe, then be aware that your new furniture is going to be left in their warehouse and pushed around until another truck comes your way. You really want to minimize handling of your new pieces.

4) Don't expect the delivery company to be your personal movers. Have the area for the new pieces clear and ready for the new pieces. Have the egress clear and free as well. If you expect them to take your old sofa to the basement you will be dissapointed when they refuse to do so.

5) Minor nicks and scratches can happen. Its a hassle when it does. Third party companies come out to repair and touch-up, and then you will have to submit the bill to the delivery service who will reimburse you.

6) Your return options with mail order are far more limited than buying locally, and in most cases is limited to replacement/repair of pieces damaged in transit.

7) Sales tax. Just because the store does not collect it, does not mean you are off the hook on it. Many states will collect it many months later as a USE tax, which is the same as the sales tax. Most the time it never happens, but there have been instances of folks getting a Use Tax bill in the mail up to two years after getting their new purchases.

So that's about it. You have to balance the savings of mail order against the above criteria and decide if its worth it for you. 95% of all mail orders I do go smoothly and without incident, and the remaining 5% are almost all dealing with minor touchups to a piece.

Customers that should not use mail order are ones that want rights of refusal for small imperfections they may find, and/or if they don't like the piece once in the house, or service levels that cater to their schedule.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

quinn204 Guest

Default Hancock & Moore v. Stickley

Still shopping and considering options. I'm going back to the local furniture store this weekend to look at Hancock and Moore leathers and whether I like the Document Leather ( I really like the discounts). In the meantime, I saw some Stickley leather sofas, same approximate price as H & M (about $7000 for sofa/loveseat combo). Any thoughts on one manufacturer v. the other? The Stickley leathers were very soft! Thanks!