Thread: Is this Good Enough

sam8364 Guest

Default Is this Good Enough

Hi,

I have recently bought an expensive leather arm chair and two seat sofa in the UK. They cost £2,200 which at current exchange rates is about $3500.

I am really disappointed. The leather feels very thing compared to any other furniture I can find and I am concerned about long term wear. It is less than three months old and the leather looks really dry (I realise that this sort of uncoated leather will need nourishing but even so).

The seat of the arm chairs has a nasty roll of loose leather on it and the surface of the leather in many areas has the look of dry and wrinkled skin.

I am in the process of complaining to the manufacturer but they are not being very responsive.

Can you all have a look at these photos and see what you think?

Cheers

Sam

Default Re: Is this Good Enough

All leather stretches somewhat, its impossible to keep it tight with use. There are different grades of leather that a manufacturer will buy depending on how much they want to spend on raw materials. Cowhide is very elastic, and is the covering from a female cow. Should not be used on quality furniture. Steerhide from a male cow is the only acceptable leather and the maker should be using Grade A steerhides if they really want to minimize stretch.

Most leather companies do not respond well to minor stretching in a seat cushion, and will tell you 'they all do it'. You can ask them to wrap a layer of ticking around your existing cushion cores which they can do quite easily and that will fill the void in the cover and add a little crown to the seat shape. That's what I would recommend.

I don't see an issue in photo # 3 ????
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.