Thread: Help with Southern Motion reclining sofa

beyondgrave Guest

Default Help with Southern Motion reclining sofa

Hi everyone! New to this site. I have what is probably a dumb question I recently purchased a Southern Motion dual power reclining sofa with power headrests and on day 2 of ownership noticed that the buttons on one side don't match the other.

On the right side (when seated), the 2 buttons closest to the recliner move the headrest, and the 2 buttons closest to the foot recliner move that part. But on the left seat, the buttons are reversed: the 2 buttons closest to the head rest move the foot recliner and the 2 closest to the foot recliner move the headrest. It's very unintuitive.

This got me wondering if it's really supposed to be like this. I thought I'd check the internet for help. Can anyone shed some light on this?

If it matters, the piece is a Southern Motion Grand Slam 864P. Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Help with Southern Motion reclining sofa

I bet it is expected to be that way because they only make one button mechanism/face and just install it on both sides, so the sides will be the opposite of each other because they face different ways.

Sounds to me the wires off the A switch on one side need to be swapped with the wires on the B switch. Usually that's pretty easy to do. Would have to see photos of your switches, though
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

beyondgrave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    I bet it is expected to be that way because they only make one button mechanism/face and just install it on both sides, so the sides will be the opposite of each other because they face different ways.
    This was my first thought. But I wasn't sure if that was how they were made, or if it was just an error in manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Sounds to me the wires off the A switch on one side need to be swapped with the wires on the B switch. Usually that's pretty easy to do. Would have to see photos of your switches, though
    I'm thinking of doing this myself if it turns out that Southern Motion just builds the sofas with the same switch on both sides (causing the reversal). Shouldn't be too hard to do, but I'm wary of doing anything that might void the warranty. I was just curious if it was something I could get the shop to fix instead.

I don't know the arrangement of your particular piece, but I'm guessing the switches are either pressure fit and pop right out, or held in with a small screw. Should not be too hard to pop them out and then swap either the switches or the wires on the back of them, I do that sort of thing all the time - but I enjoy electrical projects.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.