Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Royal Pedic

Default New Royal Pedic

My personal King Size Royal Pedic box and matt arrived via delivery service to my home yesterday so I got to experience first hand how the delivery goes. First of all, it arrived quick! I only ordered it a week ago and it was air-freighted into Baltimore and then Direct Delivery brought it to my house. They said 3 p.m. and didn't get there until 5:15, but that's pretty typical. I resisted the urge to advise them how to deliver it and kept my mouth shut...but I was very surprised they didn't have a mattress carrier and did it the hard way. They never even heard of a mattress carrier! I tipped them each $ 10 and sent them on the way with a bottle of cold water and a bag of M&M's to snack on.

Now I just have to wait on the bed parts from Stephen Plaud to convert my Queen Size Cannonball bed to a King (all that is needed are two rails and a new headboard) and once that gets here my wife and I can take our queen size Royal Pedic and put it in the Guest Bedroom, then trash the Simmons set we have in there now...and can enjoy the large sleeping area of a King bed.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: New Royal Pedic

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    My personal King Size Royal Pedic box and matt arrived via delivery service to my home yesterday so I got to experience first hand how the delivery goes. First of all, it arrived quick! I only ordered it a week ago and it was air-freighted into Baltimore and then Direct Delivery brought it to my house. They said 3 p.m. and didn't get there until 5:15, but that's pretty typical. I resisted the urge to advise them how to deliver it and kept my mouth shut...but I was very surprised they didn't have a mattress carrier and did it the hard way. They never even heard of a mattress carrier! I tipped them each $ 10 and sent them on the way with a bottle of cold water and a bag of M&M's to snack on.

Now I just have to wait on the bed parts from Stephen Plaud to convert my Queen Size Cannonball bed to a King (all that is needed are two rails and a new headboard) and once that gets here my wife and I can take our queen size Royal Pedic and put it in the Guest Bedroom, then trash the Simmons set we have in there now...and can enjoy the large sleeping area of a King bed.
    Any updates or pics? How's it working out? I wish we had the room for a King, but still saving up for a Queen!

Airfreight cross country for a very heavy matt and box spring seems crazy. You must have a great relationship with Royal Pedic or their margins are off the chart to afford air vs. truck.

The King is great - huge - massive amounts more room than a Queen size. After being married 30 years, my wife in particular appreciates the extra space! I was able to modify my existing Stephen Plaud bed by having them make two new rails (headboard and footboard), supports, and a new headboard. About 1/4 the price of replacing the entire bed.

As to shipping....A King set costs appx $ 415 to freight from L.A. to Washington DC area via Watkins-Sheppard truck line. That's a lot of mass, and a lot of miles - if you can find a shipper that will bring them that far for $ 250 or so I'm all ears. Then, when it gets to my store I can't get it into my Isuzu Cab Over 16' Diesel truck without loading it into the truck at a 45 degree angle because my roof height is not tall enough - its a real struggle and very heavy. Then my two guys have to do a local delivery with them ( $ 85 charge) and because its at a 45 degree angle it takes up the entire truck meaning we have to deliver it first, then come back and load for any other deliveries, not very efficient (and no, I'm not buying a larger truck!) Using Royal-Pedic's Turnkey Delivery service which is air freight AND home delivery combined the current charge is $ 495 for a King Set and we don't have to touch it. So it's actually less money, and less handling, and less physical strain to have the air-freighted delivery service
    Duane Collie

Vegas Guest

A Royal Pedic will most probably be our next purchase from you Duane sometime down the road. Hope living in Las Vegas, NV will keep the shipping charges down.

Its a great mattress, I say that not because I sell them, but because every bedroom in my house and every family member sleep on them. Freight is the same 48 state except for some fringe lightly populated areas that cost extra. I don't charge shipping on Royal Pedic, its included in the price of the bedding. CA and VA customers have to pay sales tax, however.
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

I have a king-sized Aireloom mattress purchased about 5 years ago. At least 2 years ago, but maybe further back, it formed the body impressions (oh, boy, Google this and it sounds like a nightmare to get them to stand by their "exceptional" warranty). We have just not taken the time to mess with it, but I'm wondering now if my back pain is being exacerbated by it. The impression is much worse on my husband's side and he's a 6 ft. 175 lb. guy! I can't imagine what it would be like if he had an extra 20 lbs on him. Anyway, I fear having to buy a new mattress and spending so much $$$$ with the same issues. Royal Pedic is a brand I'd consider - let me know how long you've had your queen and if there are any body impression issues. Thanks as always Duane!

Quote Originally Posted by BevoGal View Post
    I have a king-sized Aireloom mattress purchased about 5 years ago. At least 2 years ago, but maybe further back, it formed the body impressions (oh, boy, Google this and it sounds like a nightmare to get them to stand by their "exceptional" warranty). We have just not taken the time to mess with it, but I'm wondering now if my back pain is being exacerbated by it. The impression is much worse on my husband's side and he's a 6 ft. 175 lb. guy! I can't imagine what it would be like if he had an extra 20 lbs on him. Anyway, I fear having to buy a new mattress and spending so much $$$$ with the same issues. Royal Pedic is a brand I'd consider - let me know how long you've had your queen and if there are any body impression issues. Thanks as always Duane!
    I'm not sure if I'd told this story or not - but here goes.....

I got into selling bedding back in the 80's not so much because I wanted to sell mattresses (they are bulky and heavy and hard to deliver), but more so to have something to fill my floor model bed frames on the sales floor. So, I picked up the King Koil line for no particular reason other than I could get it easily and put in four different models on the floor bed frames. They started selling - and they were not hugely costly, about $ 1100 to $ 1500 a set by today's prices. Customers bought them from me because they knew my reputation for carrying quality goods and we were selling quite a few. Around the 5 year mark, these customers started calling the store complaining about their King Koils, specifically body impressions and lack of support as the bedding aged. Well, King Koil was good about replacing the bedding under warranty if the depressions were more than 2.5" from the center high, but it meant a lot of deliveries and handling at no charge (it costs about $ 100 in transport and handling to replace an average mattress). I became alarmed because it was happening frequently and so I decided to study the Art of making good bedding and it wasn't long before I dropped the King Koil line and replaced it with Shifman. Why?

I learned that the vast majority of bedding is made of foam, layers of it. Foam like you would see under builder-grade carpeting in a house. Typically 7 to 9 layers over the springs. And foam works good until it starts aging (just like under the carpeting). It loses it resiliency, and breaks down due to use and moisture - the end result being those body impressions that everyone hates. Why do they use foam? Because its cheap. Then I went to a bedding factory production line here in Virginia to see the process and was shocked to learn that most all brands are made in just one factory on the same production line and they simply change the name on the labels from one batch to another. You can have a plant making Simmons one day and the following day they make Sealy, changing a few components along the way. The day after that - Serta. And that the average mattress takes 15 minutes to build. Talking to people in the industry I found out the lifespan of a foam bed is 7 years under regular usage, with 5 years at the low end and 9 at the high end, but most people keep their's way too long after they have already failed. Then I ask why not upgrade the components and was told simply...... price. Like so many things, there is consumer push-back at above $ 1,995 for a Queen Set, so foam had to be the building material to meet production costs.

Shifman is an All-Cotton bed made in New Jersey, and the don't use foam - they use cotton felt. Result? The cotton doesn't de-grade like the foam does - maintains its form - is less prone to dust mites as it doesn't disintegrate like foam interiors and has twice the useable life span. It was also twice the price. But they used a real box spring as well, so first thing I did was replace all my floor models with Shifman as well as my own bedding at home. It was GREAT...sleeping on the Shifman was world's better than a conventional foam bed and they did not deteriorate. Customers started buying them and there were no complaints as they ages, though many struggled with the price points (and still do today). One day Mike Hammer, owner of Shifman, called me up and thanked me for my business but he was pulling the line from me because too many customers were going into Bloomingdale's asking them to match my prices, which were half of what Bloomie's charged for the same product. I wasn't upset, because I know that when it comes to either having Bloomingdales as an account or little old Keeping Room, it was a no-brainer. I wish people wouldn't do that -because while they think they are being savvy shoppers when they ask for a price match, but in reality they shut down the discounter and in the future have to pay full hit price if they want the product. It's not savvy at all, just dumb!

So, no longer having Shifman to sell, and not wanting to carry a foam bed line, I found Royal-Pedic, which builds out of California. They built the same way as Shifman so I went with them (takes 8 hours to make one mattress) - but it was overall a more costly product due to shipping. I've had Royal Pedic about 10 to 12 years now as a line and it performs just as well as Shifman. I'll always have a cotton felt line of beds, even though they are twice the price of foam bedding. I replaced my Shifman at the 15 year mark, not because it was worn out that I can tell, but because that's what Mike Hammer told me was the usable life span. And we now have (4) Royal Pedics in my home, all the beds in my house. I don't get complaints about them or unhappy customers, but still get some customers that think $ 4K for bedding is ridiculous - that I can't help. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for, and you don't really notice how special your cotton felt bed is until you go sleep somewhere else on vacation and are back on a foam bed.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-05-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

This is very helpful info! For what it's worth, the boys are all on Naturepedic mattresses, and my guest bed is something along the same lines as the Aireloom. I'm going for Royal Pedic on my own bed when I can get the husband to agree. Too many other projects going on at this moment, but I also have an appointment with a spine doctor so the mattress may become more pressing =)

I want to add my input on protecting the mattresses and your health too. We have followed the advice of our allergist and removed all carpet/drapes from bedrooms, and encased the mattresses/boxes/pillows. My favorite mattress and box spring encasement is by Mission Allergy (use the code DM5 for a discount, or look at retailmenot for a code). I buy the Premium Microfiber Encasement for the mattress and the Barrier II Fabric encasement for the box. These are not inexpensive, but they are top quality. I also use the Premium Microfiber Pillow encasements on all sleeping pillows (Barrier II is okay for the pillows that are under decorative shams). Every mattress and pillow in our house is encased. That includes one king, three queens, one full and one twin. Good grief! Oh, and I have a duvet encasement on one bed, and a special duvet-and-encasement-in-one on another bed. I will also buy encasements for dog bed inserts (we lost our dog at Thanksgiving, but will have a new friend by summer). I did not buy all the encasements at once, but made sure I bought them with each new mattress.

BevoGal,

You might want the Royal-Pedic Organic line, as they use all natural materials (Pesticide Free, no dyes, and wool wrap for fire retardant instead of boric acid). The cost about another $ 1,000 per set, but that's what my customers with severe allergies buy.

Also note that Royal-Pedic has an 'internet' line of bedding and a 'brick and mortar' line. The 'internet' line is what you see on-line for sale at places like AlllergyClub.com. They don't get the premium lines - so if you are price shopping be aware there are two levels of quality and build - I only quote the premium line (but do have access to the lesser one, though I've never sold the first set), so you will see a difference in my pricing and theirs, but realize they are selling the low line product.
    Duane Collie