Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wood Table Damaged by a Hot Cooking Vessel

Default Re: Oh no. $3200+ kitchen table from Restoration Hardware is Made in China.

My store is different than a 'regular' furniture store, my wood lines are more exclusive and either hand-made or hand-crafted. They're more apt to be made by a person, rather than a company. So I don't travel in the mass-produced wood furniture circles, meaning that there truly are hundreds of products I'm not familiar with, 95% of which I wouldn't sell in my store. I'm small in size (just 5,000 s.f.) so I am picky about what I show and represent. However, if you bring me any piece from any maker, I can tell you in under a minute how well made it is and if the design is good. To look at a company's pretty website and photos doesn't tell me much, because they all have pro photographers to make it all handsome and wax incessantly about how finely made their furniture is. All I'm concerned with is construction, and VERY few will show photos of how they make their pieces, mainly because they don't want to show you.

Tom Seely for example, is too production for me (I was unaware they changed their name to Gat Creek). Its solid enough and well put together, but lacks style and grace. It also does not have the hand-working of the surfaces that I look for and the finish is standard production line stuff. It misses the "Art" of furnituremaking which can be as subtle as a mullion in a glass pane or having the correct proportion of graduated drawers, or a Queen Anne leg that is too blocky. At the end of the day its all price/value and what style you are looking for. A chest of drawers that's $ 1,500 may be a great value at that price, but is totally diminished if priced at $ 2,500 - meaning their is better product out there for the $ 2,500 price.

I think there are four categories of wood furniture:

1) Junk. Uses the cheapest possible material and attempts to trick the customer into buying by disguising with veneers and other visuals. Fails rapidly.

2) Low End. Up a notch from Junk. Uses high-speed construction methods and stronger materials (though often will retain veneers) that will typically give decent service for a limited period of time. No residual value.

3) Production. Quality materials, and production line construction. Decent hardware, good finishes. Solid, though won't win any design awards. Long lasting, and suitable for passing down to family members, etc. Most people buy in this category.

4) Handcrafted. Here's the Art of Furnituremaking. Wide Board Materials, hand-worked surfaces, time-honored construction, the best hardware, and finishes that take hours to lay up. Here's where details and specifics matter. Its Benchmade by cabinetmakers, can actually increase in value as the years go by if well-cared for and a good design.

I'm more than happy to render an opinion of a piece, but you have to give me something to look at. Just to link to a website and ask "is this any good?" or ask for a blanket recommendation is really not something I can do with any degree of accuracy. Rather, find the piece you are interested in and take photos of it from every angle, pull a drawer and lets see the top, bottom and sides. And shoot the inside of a piece. Once I see enough photos, I can then tell you whats - what.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

nittanylion1 Guest

Default Re: Update!

My question is, do you love this table? I am considering purchasing the same table for our dining room and have a few reservations:

1. Although it has a rustic look, will it hold up over time...ie against dark food and beverage stains. We will be using this table for daily use...not just for formal dinners or holidays. We don't have kids yet, but plan to next year.

2. Is the unfinished pine look a trend or is this a timeless look? We recently remodeled our kitchen....white shaker cabinets, black soapstone, black cup pull knobs, and white subway tiles....timeless kitchen. I have an antique breakfront/china cabinet that has been passed down through generations through my family and is worth a lot of money. It has a very formal look to it...golden mahogany finish with slumped glass doors...can I pair this breakfront with the salvaged wood table from Restoration Hardware? Ina Garten suggests new pieces with old pieces....I know that trying to match periods and woods can be boring, but will this combination work? I do not want to get ride of the breakfront and I do not want a formal dining room table as we do not have an eat in kitchen table....just a few bar stools at an overhang in the kitchen. Again, this will be our everyday table where we will sit for all meals.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I haven't found any 'reviews' on this table online. Would love to hear from customers that own it, have used it for a while, and love it or hate it.

Default Re: Oh no. $3200+ kitchen table from Restoration Hardware is Made in China.

Mind those splinters with babies and kids around. I think you would definitely want to seal down this table - not only to control the splinters but to resist stains.
    Duane Collie

luvsun Guest

Hi there- I was wondering if you have any updated pictures of your table with whatever wax protection you used. Looking to see how it altered the table and wondering if you are happy you did that ... I'm considering buying the same RH trestle table.. any thoughts for me would be great! Thanks

Tinaro Guest

Default Re: Update!

I have recently bought a very similar Restoration Hardware table (French Urn pedestal). I am wondering how it turned out when you sealed your table? So far I have applied a very thin layer of wax and it hasn't done much for protecting it! I am wondering if I can apply that Paste varnish to get a better seal? DO I need to get the wax off before doing so? Thanks

Yes, you need to remove the paste wax before applying a wiping varnish. Use Mineral Spirits and a rag to remove the wax. Apply the paste varnish lightly and with a rag in the direction of the grain, as thin as you can possible get it and still have coverage.
    Duane Collie

Tinaro Guest

Is the paste varnish the only way to seal it? Or would you recommend something else? I am mainly looking to get rid of the little splinters as well as providing a bit more protection with spills and stuff like that.

There are more involved, specialized topcoats, but Paste Varnish is the easiest to apply and the hardest to screw up in applying. It will do what you want it to do if properly applied.
    Duane Collie

rizzz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    There are more involved, specialized topcoats, but Paste Varnish is the easiest to apply and the hardest to screw up in applying. It will do what you want it to do if properly applied.
    How often shall paste varnish be applied? Is this a one time application?

ALso, I was hoping you could tell me if this would work on elm wood? My wife "has" to have the flatiron dining table from restoration hardware.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1617015

I realize the quality of this made in China product isnt great, but she fell in love with the design and I want to get it for her. I have read some horror stories about stains, cracking and warping with this table and your thread led me to the idea of applying paste varnish. It looks to get the job done and if it works on elm wood, it would help me feel good about buying her the piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paste Varnish application is really a 1-time gig for the most part. You don't ever want to apply it without the top being squeaky clean (prep with Mineral Spirits). It's applicable to any wood.

That's not going to prevent or even slow cracking / warping in the least. That is caused by not properly kiln drying the wood (cracking) before the build and also construction methods (warping). Nothing you can do as a consumer to prevent that.

Option 2 is to have someone copy the design using premium woods, handmade by a master cabinentmaker. Then you'd get it right. We do that all the time in my store but needless to say you're not going to get Restoration Hardware Made in China pricing for the table.
    Duane Collie