Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emilio Sofa, Chair and Ottomans in Tiburon Java

Default Re: Emilio Sofa, Chair and Ottomans in Tiburon Java

Quote Originally Posted by ViviV View Post
    ...Now I just have to finish convincing my dear love to remove the sides (or curios) of the entertainment center and the living room will be done. ;>
    ViviV,

Is that a space issue?

TXCajun

ViviV Guest

Yes.... and no. I feel that there's too much "cherry colored" wood now in the room that looks too "matchy-matchy" with the color of the leather. Also several people have told me that big wall entertainment centers are totally "out" (so 1990s..whatever that means!) and feel heavy in the room. So if we remove the side units (and get rid of the top bridge) we'd be left with the bottom console only which frees up visual and actual space in the room. I'm planning to move curios to the dinning room and use them together to store wine glasses and liquor bottles on the bottom. My husband is not 100% convinced of my proposal.... argues that it was so expensive and it's an all wood piece, etc., etc.... but I'm working on him....chipping away little by little....

What do you think? Do you own one of these lovely pieces?

Yes.... and no. I feel that there's too much "cherry colored" wood now in the room that looks too "matchy-matchy" with the color of the leather. Also several people have told me that big wall entertainment centers are totally "out" (so 1990s..whatever that means!) and feel heavy in the room. So if we remove the side units (and get rid of the top bridge) we'd be left with the bottom console only which frees up visual and actual space in the room. I'm planning to move curios to the dinning room and use them together to store wine glasses and liquor bottles on the bottom. My husband is not 100% convinced of my proposal.... argues that it was so expensive and it's an all wood piece, etc., etc.... but I'm working on him....chipping away little by little....

What do you think? Do you own one of these lovely pieces?
    I do not. And, I completely understand your points. You've done such a good job creating a room that is so visually soothing and I can imagine that piece sort of throws everything out of balance. Your re-purposing idea sounds like a good one! Seems like that would be a win-win for you and your husband, right? If he's unwavering in his opposition, how about painting the piece?

If you have time, would you post some photos of that wall?

TXCajun

ViviV Guest

TX Cajun,
    here's the wall, not the best picture...not the best lighting...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	entertainmentcenter1.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	9484

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	entertainmentcenter2.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	9485

He wont paint them.... I asked :/
    Moving them is the only thing he has not said no to....yet.
    I'm patient...Ha!

The only thing that will darken leather is dirt...and oils.

Ambient lighting will lighten it some over time. And it will get more 'broken-in' in appearance over time - which is a good thing. A combination of lightening and darkening with use.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

TX Cajun,
    here's the wall, not the best picture...not the best lighting...
    He wont paint them.... I asked :/
    Moving them is the only thing he has not said no to....yet.
    I'm patient...Ha!
    That cabinet is attractive, but I do see what you mean. It does sort of create a dark weight in a room that is trying to feel a bit lighter. Even though it does chew up some floor space, it really isn't bad! It's a nice piece. Since it appears those two side pieces are detachable, how about y'all give your idea a whirl...just to see how it changes things? Maybe your hubby would go for that just as an experiment, nothing written in stone. (I'm sure he is thrilled I'm volunteering him for that!) If you do, please post photos with your thoughts! Fun!

TXCajun

If you do decide to take it down, you will probably want to put something on that wall or it will look bare. Some pictures. Just something to consider.

MJM_CA Guest

I think your entertainment unit looks good. It's not dated as it was designed to accommodate a flat screen TV. The only part that looks a bit dated are the arched panels. If the shelves are finished on the inside, I would consider removing the upper cabinet doors and just have open shelving. This would help lighten the look of the unit.

MJM_CA Guest

One thing always leads to another...

ViviV Guest

Lol! Thanks to both of you Dawn99 and MJM_CA for your ideas. I agree, if we move the side units out I will have a pretty big, bare wall.... one thing does lead to another!
    I have not considered removing the doors. I will see what that will look like. It could be an option. Thanks for that idea!
    If we do anything I will keep you posted.