Thread: This is what severe sun damage looks like on leather furniture

Default This is what severe sun damage looks like on leather furniture

Recently a forum member sent me photos at my request of their 11-year-old Hancock and Moore Somerset Sofa they were replacing. I wanted to see if it could be repaired rather than replaced. The Somerset is a heavy-framed piece, I would never expect it to need replacement in such a short period of time. When the photos came in the piece was much worse than I expected and the hides not salvageable. This is probably the worst I have ever seen, and I shared the photos with the CEO of H&M and we discussed it on the phone. This appears to be a pure aniline hide that was placed in a room with direct sun on it. As you can see, it has not fared well. Direct sunlight will blow the color out of anything, even a hardwood floor. If you have streaming sunlight in your home, take steps to control it so furnishing and rooms will not wind up like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa.jpg 
Views:	1485 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	7219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa2.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	7220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa3.jpg 
Views:	742 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	7221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa4.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	7222

In my store which has West Facing, I have 'Airport Tower' dark shades I drop down every day when the sun clocks around, in addition to low-E windows. This darkens the store front from the street, but I have to have them to prevent fading of my floor models. I custom-ordered these to fit my three large windows across the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shades.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	7223

At my home, I have (5) large palladium windows that are second-story high, and as soon as we moved into the house 15 years ago I hired a solar tint company to come out and film them as well as the sliding glass doors you see behind the sofa. They are 90% UV blockage, and that has worked well, but even so I have some slight fade on my leather sofas and recliners in that room - nothing too severe however. Here's my 15-year-old sofa in that room:

Often I will hear comments such as "That brand didn't hold up well for me, I won't use them again" when often the case is that you as the owner need to take steps to control the environment of use, and keep the pieces clean, conditioned, softened and protected. Its not 'buy it and forget it, just use it'. I mean, you CAN do that, but its doubtful you will get the lifespan out of the piece that you expect. Watch what is going on in your room environments, and if you see sun damage (its slow, but relentless) take some steps to counter it.
    Last edited by drcollie; 05-16-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

lynarthur Guest

Default Re: This is what severe sun damage looks like on leather furniture

Are there any recommended products to protect the leather from UV/Sun damage? Or just doing regular cleaning and conditioning and keeping direct sunlight to a minimum is all that is necessary?

Regular cleaning and conditioning will do nothing to prevent UV damage. Leather Magic makes a UV spray...

http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/UVgrd.htm
    Duane Collie

menghsiu Guest

My couch is east facing, and I have curtain to protect the sun, but not the uv ray. I've had the couch for about 5 years now and top of the cushion that's exposed to the sun the most is still looking good (I do clean and condition every 6 months). However, the seat cushions and the piping have fine cracks on them. I have been using LEARHER MASTER to clean and condition, but what do I need to get to get rid of the fine cracks? I'm including a picture attachment showing the damage and please help. Thank you. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	7390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	7391

Ps. The picture with the dots is from the arm rest, and I don't know what caused it and would like help in getting rid of it also.

That is normal wear and tear, just keep doing what you are doing. Those 'dots' appear to be damage from something in the cushion. Take a brown furniture magic marker or some shoe polish and touch them up, blend out the touch up with some Conditioner.
    Duane Collie

Connie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Regular cleaning and conditioning will do nothing to prevent UV damage. Leather Magic makes a UV spray...

http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/UVgrd.htm
    Does Leather Magic still make this? What are you currently recommending? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Does Leather Magic still make this? What are you currently recommending? Thanks!
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...for-all-brands
    Duane Collie