Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viewpoint Leather Works

lookingforleather Guest

Default Viewpoint Leather Works

Hi! I'm looking at a leather couch at my local dealer, and I've been trying to do some research on the company. From what I've learned so far, people generally are happy with the purchase of the brand Viewpoint Leather Works. BUT, they can't contact the company with issues after the sale. The couch comes with a one year warranty, and the salesman said the store would help me with any issues during that time.

Supposedly, this is the best leather couch in the store for construction and leather quality. It's $1225 at 1/2 off. Here's a similar picture: http://www.wolffurniture.com/Collect...ectionNum=2250 Seems to show up at a lot of going-out-of-business sales. Is this a bad thing?

The couch has been on the showroom floor for a year and a half. You really sink into it in a good way, but I'm concerned about the cushions going flat. The cushions have coils in them and a down topper. I'm wondering too if they will leak down.

I'm also wondering why the manufacturer doesn't allow dealers to post prices on their websites. Is this common practice?

Here is what I thought was their website: http://www.viewpointleatherworks.com/ It's obviously no help. I'm finding it difficult to even find a picture of the same couch I'd like to get.

Can anyone tell me anything about the company? Website? Quality? Price?
    Should I be so concerned about the manufacturer when I'll be dealing with my local dealer?

I just checked Sams Club and found this: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=368072 It looks like the same couch, and its description sounds like it could be the same. Would they make it cheaper to sell at Sams, or would I be getting the same product if I bought from there?

Wish I could afford H&M. It sounds wonderful! But I have too much furniture to buy for my new house to spend all my money on one room!

Thanks in advance for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforleather View Post
    BUT, they can't contact the company with issues after the sale. The couch comes with a one year warranty, and the salesman said the store would help me with any issues during that time.

Probably because its made in China and sold only through a Distributor. It is the store's job to handle warranty issues, however.

Supposedly, this is the best leather couch in the store for construction and leather quality.

According to whom?

Seems to show up at a lot of going-out-of-business sales. Is this a bad thing?

When stores go out of business, they sell everything to a liquidation company and the store owners step away from the business. The biggest sham in the whole industry is the "Going Out of Business Sales" that prey on consumers thinking they are going to get a hellva deal on something. Its greed vs. greed. The liquidator brings in items from sources he has established and tries to sell them at what he advertises as blowout deal prices. In reality, the customer pays regular price for the goods, but they are caught up in the red neon signs and mottos of PRICES SLASHED 80 PERCENT OFF RETAIL! Its' 90% sham, mostly smoke and mirrors.

The couch has been on the showroom floor for a year and a half.

A year and a half? Really? That's an OLD floor model.

You really sink into it in a good way, but I'm concerned about the cushions going flat. The cushions have coils in them and a down topper. I'm wondering too if they will leak down.

All cushions from every maker will eventually lose their resiliance over time and need replacing. The million dollar question is how long, and how much for the replacements? Cushion cores can get expensive. One should never 'sink' into a sofa, thats a sign of a poor spring deck. A good sofa is supportive and easy to get in and out of.

I'm also wondering why the manufacturer doesn't allow dealers to post prices on their websites. Is this common practice?

Yes.

Can anyone tell me anything about the company? Website? Quality? Price?
    Should I be so concerned about the manufacturer when I'll be dealing with my local dealer?

Never heard of the company and the fact you cannot find it on-line means it probably is a Distributor-sold import sold under a variety of labels.

I just checked Sams Club and found this: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=368072 It looks like the same couch, and its description sounds like it could be the same. Would they make it cheaper to sell at Sams, or would I be getting the same product if I bought from there?

It would be the same model, not made to a different spec. Sam's Club has incredible buying power, and the Distrubtor may very well have volume price tiers so that Sam's can buy for less, and sell at lower margins as well.

Wish I could afford H&M. It sounds wonderful! But I have too much furniture to buy for my new house to spend all my money on one room!

Understand! H&M will see you in about 5 to 7 years, which is about the lifespan of most sofas in this category.
    Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

Viewpoint was always trying to fly under the radar. They were a big department store supplier. They dealt with stores who could buy in volume. The product used to be made here or in Mexico (or maybe both) but I can't remember for sure, and that was many years ago. I would ask where it was made. It used to be that the minimum order was a truckload, which is larger than a container. I don't know if that's still the case.

They also used to feature 8-way construction, but it was drop-in coils, good but not the same as H&M, Leathercraft, etc. And the colors were very limited.

If you see them at GOB sales its because they can deliver sofas quickly with specs that people are told to look for at a really good price.

lookingforleather Guest

Thank you both for your replies. I think we're going to keep shopping. If I want to pay under $1500 for a leather sofa, where would you suggest I look for the best quality for my money?

I don't operate in that price range for a leather sofa, so I'm of no help. Anything I would have @ $ 1,500 would be a Chinese import from someone like Flexsteel, and theres not much quality there, sorry. Maybe Steve has some ideas?
    Duane Collie

soster Guest

I agree with Duane its very hard. Palliser will have some styles at that price. Jaymar will be a little higher.

PJFrahm Guest

Cool Re: Viewpoint Leather Works

First off, in reply to Steve and Fearless Leader whatever his name is, we have a Viewpoint Leather Works couch and loveseat and have had it for close to 16 years and its still in superior condition and shows no signs of wear and tear and they have been through teenagers, dogs and numerous moves, messes and spills. We both believe, the older these pieces get, the better they look. SO, if they are just trying to sell their own furniture by posting negative comments about the Viewpoint Leather Works brand, they are posting false information. Also, Viewpoint Leather Works is out of Salt Lake City, UT, which last time we checked, was still in the U.S.A.!!! Nice try Fearless Leader and Steve!!!

Default Re: Viewpoint Leather Works

As indicated above, the website is now just a parked page. The Utah company is defunct as of 2010. It may be a familiar story of a defunct U.S. brand being picked up by a Chinese company or importer that wants to trade on the former owner's reputation. But as with many furniture lines, if in fact this piece was manufactured after the apparent demise of the Utah company, it would appear that the "Viewpoint" you dealt with in the 1990's was a very different company with a very different product.

If you take the time to read the forum, you will find that Duane is interested in quality furniture, and trades on honest information. And if you go to a typical furniture store these days, unfortunately you will see a lot of low quality furniture from China, no small amount of it sold under the brands of companies that have reduced or eliminated their domestic production. There are many importers with U.S. addresses that do no domestic production.
    Last edited by aaron; 02-02-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJFrahm View Post
    First off, in reply to Steve and Fearless Leader whatever his name is, we have a Viewpoint Leather Works couch and loveseat and have had it for close to 16 years and its still in superior condition and shows no signs of wear and tear and they have been through teenagers, dogs and numerous moves, messes and spills. We both believe, the older these pieces get, the better they look. SO, if they are just trying to sell their own furniture by posting negative comments about the Viewpoint Leather Works brand, they are posting false information. Also, Viewpoint Leather Works is out of Salt Lake City, UT, which last time we checked, was still in the U.S.A.!!! Nice try Fearless Leader and Steve!!!
    I love the newbies that show up and show their stupidity in their very first post. Proof that the clueless are indeed among us.

You will find as owner of the forum, I don't suffer fools for long - nor does Aaron, the other Admin. Mind your manners and have a little respect for the people that work hard to answer questions freely and honestly or you will be sleeping with the digital fishes.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-03-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Duane Collie

Matthew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    The Utah company is defunct as of 2010. It may be a familiar story of a defunct U.S. brand being picked up by a Chinese company or importer that wants to trade on the former owner's reputation.
    I believe Viewpoint is still around, they just changed their name to "USA Premium Leather".