Thread: Looking for info on Smith Bros. of Berne

Bean Guest

Default Looking for info on Smith Bros. of Berne

I'm looking for a leather sofa. I'm very particular and have been looking for several years. I came across a sofa I'm interested in at a local dealer and it is made in Berne, Indiana by Smith Bros. I have two questions:
    1. What is the quality level of Smith Bros. and how does it compare to H&M?
    2. I'm finding it difficult to get information about Smith Bros. Their website does not provide any contact info. (I do have their phone number), nor do they provide any search option for local dealers. I would like to compare the price of the sofa with another dealer. I also would like to see if another dealer would offer (interest free) financing, as the dealer I found said they don't offer financing to "keep costs down." Anyway, why would Smith Bros. make it so difficult to find information about their products and provide no contact information?

Thanks for listening!

Default Re: Looking for info on Smith Bros. of Berne

Do a search on the forum for SMITH BROTHERS and you will see topics and comments on them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I'm looking for a leather sofa. I'm very particular and have been looking for several years. I came across a sofa I'm interested in at a local dealer and it is made in Berne, Indiana by Smith Bros. I have two questions:
    1. What is the quality level of Smith Bros. and how does it compare to H&M?
    2. I'm finding it difficult to get information about Smith Bros. Their website does not provide any contact info. (I do have their phone number), nor do they provide any search option for local dealers. I would like to compare the price of the sofa with another dealer. I also would like to see if another dealer would offer (interest free) financing, as the dealer I found said they don't offer financing to "keep costs down." Anyway, why would Smith Bros. make it so difficult to find information about their products and provide no contact information?

Thanks for listening!
    I hope I can shed some light on your questions being a current Smith Brothers owner.

Comparing SB to H&M I would say most furniture experts would put H&M on top due to their attention to detail and true 8 way hand tied springs which very few companies rival. Now Smith Brothers does offer a great warranty that even includes cushion cores lifetime. I like H&M and SB but for me it comes down to which one looks/feels best for me. I really do like the City style sofa from H&M but SB has a recliner and tilt back model I haven't found an H&M product compare to comfort wise to me. Comfort and look are subjective of course but if you buy from a reputable dealer I think either brand would be a winner.

I want to add that I actually had a few issues with my SB furniture (there's a thread on that elsewhere here) which SB took care of just fine and promptly once the dealer and I got on the same page.

I have found 2 dealers in the region of SB and both are right in line price wise and both offer excellent sales/service. I found the first dealer on the internet and the second by accident while stopping searching for a curio cabinet. I have actually in the past sent a suggestion for SB to revamp their website and have a dealer search which they said they are working on but so far just a different look on the website has appeared. Kind of funny you mention that feature since H&M recently added it to their website, check old threads and you will see people asking Duane to get H&M to add dealer search. BTW Duane if you had anything to do with that I want to say "Thank You".

To find a dealer best bet is to do a google search of furniture dealers in driving distance for you and call them and ask them what brands they carry.

Good luck in your search.

You're welcome.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Bean Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
    I hope I can shed some light on your questions being a current Smith Brothers owner.

Comparing SB to H&M I would say most furniture experts would put H&M on top due to their attention to detail and true 8 way hand tied springs which very few companies rival. Now Smith Brothers does offer a great warranty that even includes cushion cores lifetime. I like H&M and SB but for me it comes down to which one looks/feels best for me. I really do like the City style sofa from H&M but SB has a recliner and tilt back model I haven't found an H&M product compare to comfort wise to me. Comfort and look are subjective of course but if you buy from a reputable dealer I think either brand would be a winner.

I want to add that I actually had a few issues with my SB furniture (there's a thread on that elsewhere here) which SB took care of just fine and promptly once the dealer and I got on the same page.

I have found 2 dealers in the region of SB and both are right in line price wise and both offer excellent sales/service. I found the first dealer on the internet and the second by accident while stopping searching for a curio cabinet. I have actually in the past sent a suggestion for SB to revamp their website and have a dealer search which they said they are working on but so far just a different look on the website has appeared. Kind of funny you mention that feature since H&M recently added it to their website, check old threads and you will see people asking Duane to get H&M to add dealer search. BTW Duane if you had anything to do with that I want to say "Thank You".

To find a dealer best bet is to do a google search of furniture dealers in driving distance for you and call them and ask them what brands they carry.

Good luck in your search.
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate your detailed reply. After I posted the question, I did find the old threads about Smith Brothers. After reading other threads, I also know how important it is to find a good dealer since repairs and warranty is handled through the dealer and not the mfr. I will be sure to ask the dealer specific questions on their procedure for repairs and such. Thanks again!

Yes any brand of furniture can have issues so the dealer you choose is a very important part of the process. Duane has posted on this topic a few times saying that pretty much all furniture manufacturer's customer service is through the dealer. Another important thing to do is when furniture is delivered to go over it before you sign off on it. A good dealer will either take it back to get major issues corrected or make sure they agree to come back and repair minor issues on the delivery reciept.

I just remembered a a site I found awhile ago that gives more pictures/sytles than the SB website. http://www.amish-oak.com/smith/

This recliner is the I have but in a different fabric than shown http://www.amish-oak.com/smith/slide...recliners.html
    My sofa is this one in fabric http://www.amish-oak.com/smith/slide...er%20Sofa.html
    (I love the recliner and everyone else in the house loves the sofa)
    This is the tilt back chair now that I have room for an ottoman I am looking forward to someday http://www.amish-oak.com/smith/slide...r%20Chair.html
    Last edited by Briant73; 01-02-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Bean Guest

Thanks! The search continues...